[AMRadio] Yeeee Hawwww

K9FH k9fh at arrl.net
Sat Apr 29 21:30:34 EDT 2017

On 4/29/2017 4:54 PM, JAMES HANLON wrote:
> I haven't been able to find anything about this proposal on the ARRL web site.  Could someone please let me know where to look for some information about it?
>

> thanks,
>

> Jim, W8KGI

Hi Jim,

Not a proposal just yet, but the ARRL Entry-Level License Committee has
been gathering input from the Amateur Radio community with an eye toward
recommending either a makeover of the Technician license or an
altogether new entry-level Amateur Radio license class.

See:  http://www.arrl.org/arrlletter?issue=2017-04-06#toc03

Some interesting quotes from the ARRL Letter:

"Frenaye said a lot of young newcomers don't seem to find the current
license manual very enticing, possibly due to the Amateur Radio
terminology and the manual's 12th-grade reading level, which he believes
should be lower."

"Frenaye is not afraid to respond to critics who say the entry-level
license effort and such initiatives as reaching out the Maker Movement
are just ARRL ploys to boost the Amateur Radio population and, in turn,
League membership.

"I guess the answer to that is, 'Yes, what's wrong with that?'" he said.
"The more trained ham radio operators we have, the more likely we are to
actually be able to keep our bands and maybe get new ones."

Phil - K9FH

xmpp:silencio at movim.eu
xmpp:silencio46682 at jabber.ru
sip:silencio at iptel.org