[AMRadio] Ham Radio in decline?

K5MYJ macklinbob at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 09:38:54 EDT 2017

The people at W1AW just don't understand what is happening.

The younger people now have their iTHING and the Internet. They don't need
either Ham Radio or CB. Around here CB is just as dead as the Ham Bands.

People come to the club and get a Tech ticket. Then they get a 2M HT or
maybe a transceiver made in Asia somewhere. They never upgrade. The cost of
a modern RICEBOX is too high for most.

Then when young people buy a new house in a new sub-division they cannot put
up an antenna because of the HOAs. The ARRL has not been able to fix that
problem.

I got my Novice ticket in 1957 during the hottest solar cycle since ham
radio was invented. 40M was wall to wall signals between 7150 and 7200 every
evening. You could make contacts every evening and it was not just HI,
GOODBYE. It was a real QSO.

Today with the exception of contest days the bands are pretty dead. I do see
a lot of people calling CQ and getting no answers.

Today people call CQ and expect answers on frequency, The don't tune around
looking for an answer.

What happened to building your own gear? Look at 50's, 60's or 70's ARRL
Handbook. Then look at a recent ARRL Handbook. In the old days we did a lot
of building. Kits or scratch building. We could buy parts  at the local
Radio/TV parts store. When I moved here 17 years ago there were two Radio/TV
parts stores they are gone now.

I think that 20 years from now Ham Radio will be history and there's not a
thing Newington can do about it!

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ
Seattle, Wa.