[AMRadio] Ham Radio in decline?

W4AWM at aol.com W4AWM at aol.com
Sun Apr 30 10:43:54 EDT 2017

How sad, how true!

John  W4AWM/8
Sent via satellite from Paw Paw, WV

In a message dated 4/30/2017 9:39:13 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
macklinbob at gmail.com writes:

The  people at W1AW just don't understand what is happening.

The younger  people now have their iTHING and the Internet. They don't need
either Ham  Radio or CB. Around here CB is just as dead as the Ham Bands.

People  come to the club and get a Tech ticket. Then they get a 2M HT or
maybe a  transceiver made in Asia somewhere. They never upgrade. The cost
of
a  modern RICEBOX is too high for most.

Then when young people buy a new  house in a new sub-division they cannot
put
up an antenna because of the  HOAs. The ARRL has not been able to fix that
problem.

I got my  Novice ticket in 1957 during the hottest solar cycle since ham
radio was  invented. 40M was wall to wall signals between 7150 and 7200
every
evening. You could make contacts every evening and it was not just HI,
GOODBYE. It was a real QSO.

Today with the exception of contest  days the bands are pretty dead. I do
see
a lot of people calling CQ and  getting no answers.

Today people call CQ and expect answers on  frequency, The don't tune
around
looking for an answer.

What  happened to building your own gear? Look at 50's, 60's or 70's ARRL
Handbook. Then look at a recent ARRL Handbook. In the old days we did a
lot
of building. Kits or scratch building. We could buy parts  at the  local
Radio/TV parts store. When I moved here 17 years ago there were two
Radio/TV
parts stores they are gone now.

I think that 20 years from  now Ham Radio will be history and there's not a
thing Newington can do  about it!

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ
Seattle, Wa.