[AMRadio] Ham Radio in decline?

Oliver Steiner steinerviolinist at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 10:47:53 EDT 2017

When K5MYJ said: "You could make contacts every evening and it was not
just HI, GOODBYE. It was a real QSO."  I found myself so strongly
agreeing with that.  I was astonished when, in recent years a DX
station would give my call sign and the fake "5/9" signal report to me
and  everybody else. To find out his call I would have to wait to
listen to 5 or 6 "QSOs" after mine!  To find out his location and name
I would have to use the internet QRZ web site!  To my mind, that does
not constitute a radio contact!  Sometimes we AMers go too much to the
opposite extreme: One makes a contact; then one station after another
joins in, until one finds oneself in a five way roundtable with each
of the stations making an old buzzard transmission. This results in a
50 minute wait in between your transmissions.  During the 50 minutes
you might like to have a bathroom break, answer a phone call or get a
snack, but instead you are drumming your fingers on the operating desk
as you run out of patience.  Perhaps, as in so many things, moderation
is preferable to extremes of overly short non-QSOs, or overly long 5
way roundtables.

--
http://oliversteiner.com