[AMRadio] Ham Radio in decline?

w5jo at brightok.net w5jo at brightok.net
Sun Apr 30 12:05:10 EDT 2017

Some time back I noticed that the ARRL began pushing the Emergency
Communications aspect of the hobby.  I live in tornado alley and many hams,
a lot of them city, county and state employees all tested for the Technician
license so they could do storm spotting and disaster communications on a
local basis.  You don't hear them on otherwise.  The other aspect the ARRL
has been pushing is the digital communications modes, as evidenced by their
recent push to take a portion  of the 80 meter band from phone and give it
to digital.  I hope everyone commented on that one.

Another aspect of ham radio, for me, was getting to know people and the
airwaves gave a wide diversity, but today Facebook has all one wants to know
about others and Twitter will tell you what they are thinking up to the
minute.

About the only avenue for new hams who want to operate AM has been the CB
band but now, even that has seemed to decline.    Who knows what will happen
but I have seen several new hams in their 40s get on the air with AM.  I
just finished working with one up in NY who has a DX 100 that he bought some
time back and wanted it on the air.  He could not find help locally so I
spend several months coaching him on trouble shooting technique via email.
He is now happily on the air.  He is in his late 40s and a nice type to hold
a license.

Maybe things will turn for the better, I am optimistic.

Jim
W5JO