[AMRadio] Tech info for some mow dern stuff.

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 06:16:19 EDT 2017

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 1:46 PM, Randy Berry <randyn3lrx at gmail.com> wrote:
> My Plastic Radio is a K7DYY Super Senior.

That's an AM rig.  A plastic radio is a manufactured slopbucket
transceiver, usually solid state and made off-shore after around 1980.
The DYY rig, is a real AM rig, class D.  a few broadcast transmitter
manufacturers briefly made tube class D pulse width rigs in the 1980s.
Continental made one that ran three 3-500Zs, two for the final PA and
one to switch it on and off.

> It might be modern but at
> least it's a REAL AM transmitter, and legal limit out of the box.

Depends on what you mean by "legal limit."

> I tried to build a Class E transmitter but that project is still in
> pieces. in my closet. I'd love to build a big bottle rig one day when
> I have the space to do it.

Good luck with the class E rig.  Also hope you realize your dream of a
tube maul.

Once you go vacuum in a rack there's no retraction back.  One look at
hot glass and you'll give solid state a pass.

73

Rob
K5UJ