[AMRadio] Tech info for some mow dern stuff.

Randy Berry randyn3lrx at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 10:22:48 EDT 2017

I like My Super Sr. Mine's the original 160/80m version.  Even though
I'm afraid to run it up an more than 40 watts carrier which nobody
hears me. I've tested it on the dummy load with a peak reading meter
and it will do 400 watts carrier 1,500 watts pep. One of these days
I'll get to use it to its fullest potential. Just not in this
apartment. I just wish I had the funds to buy another one. This time
the 80/40m version. Perhaps I'd have better luck with 40m in this
apartment.

My antenna consists of 2 75m HamSticks in a vertical dipole
configuration on a 36" bar clamp that I clamp to my railing. I'd like
to try 40m even 20m but I've talked to Bruce (K7DYY) about that and
it's just not cost effective to make a 40m/20m Class D. The FETS are
much more expensive and band switching becomes a nightmare. What you
wind up with is a mono bander that costs as much as the dual banders.

I may be forced to buy a plastic radio for the car and run mobile
since I can't run fixed. I've considered an FT-857D for the car.

73 es gl de Randy N3LRX