[AMRadio] Ants and HOA's

w5jo at brightok.net w5jo at brightok.net
Sun Aug 6 15:07:16 EDT 2017

I live in an area that was incorporated in the mid 70s  which has CC&Rs.
Fortunately they cover the bad stuff, too many animals, abandoned cars,
temporary housing of any kind, goats, pigs, cows, horses, chickens and it is
designated as residential property.  Problem is some owners have sold direct
to other people without a Real Estate Agent, so the Covenants do not get
passed along.  There is no Home Owner's Association as such, but an
individual can sue any offending party.  That has prevented a lot of
problems with unsightly lots and acres.

Not only that but the residents here purchase property for sale to keep the
area neat.  Now the good part!  There are no restrictions against towers or
antennas of any sort.  I have up a 60 ft. self supporting tower with a 4
element beam and wire antennas for the lower bands.  When I moved here I
asked my closest neighbor if he minded the presence of my antenna.  He works
with the volunteer fire department and said, Hell No, that gives us
communication possibilities should the need arise.  In return, I put the
antenna is an area that makes it less noticeable  and decorate it each
Christmas with flashing lights and a star on top.

However, because of some problems in other areas, I have been involved with
lawyers over a challenge.  One thing is indisputable, all covenants  must be
enforced  or all are void.  To make matters worse, many HOAs pay association
dues which goes into a bank account for enforcing the covenants.  So if you
have restrictions against antennas the only you can put up are dish antennas
for TV.  However if you can convince the association to give you a waver,
you hit pay dirt.  This happened in Lubbock, TX some years back and it
resulted in new membership on the HOA board, but the guy still has his tower
up.

Jim
W5JO