[AMRadio] GK500 OTA almost

Jim Candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Tue Jan 3 07:22:39 EST 2017

It's been  while since I have owned a GK 500B. The RF PA stage is not neutralized, and therefore it tends to be slightly unstable from some regeneration. On the upper bands, plate dip and screen current max does not coincide with maximum output. That said, it is not prone to parasitics either. With many class C RF amplifiers, opening up the loading capacitor in the Pi net allows a greater amount of harmonic energy to reach the RF output, and also might push the final RF amp closer to instability.

I would try to go simplistic and use a crystal instead of the VFO. This eliminates one form of RF ingress.

Many GK owners use a copper braid chassis to chassis, one piece, straight up and down.
If the RF PA tube has been flashing inside, the tube might be toast...but not necessarily the cause of the problem
A neon bulb fastened to a popsicle stick, and placed near the PA tube plate will glow orange when transmitting. Whenever there is a parasitic, the bulb color will shift to violet. Don't hold that stick...just place it nearby, hot melt it in place.
Is the instability there when transmitting into a good 50 ohm dummy load?
Also see the post from K1JJ here:"on air tuning causing stability issues"
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=42379.0
JimWd5JKO