[AMRadio] GK500 OTA almost

Geoff ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 08:46:12 EST 2017

On 01/03/2017 07:33 AM, Collin via AMRadio wrote:
> Well, I have had many great responses. Thank you all.
> First of all some more info. I am testing using a cantenna dummy load with only the RF deck and the Power Supply deck lashed together with a  home-brew HV power supply made from parts of an old BC-610 PS. Rectifiers are SS and all of the rest of the PS is BC-610 parts. I am using a variac to dial down the HV to about 1800 vdc. I am monitoring HV as I go.
> I am using a crystal and it is on 3883 kcs.
> The final tank is stock. There is some problem with the coarse load switch but the problem contact finger is not being used.
> Parasitic oscillations sound possible.  Now that I think about it there is NO parasitic choke. I will have to look at the schematic when I get back home to see if it is shown. It did not have one when I got it. My 2 meter rig nearby does occasionally pick up hash when key down on GK500.
> I hope everyone who replied to my post can see all of the responses here. I will send my comments to the reflector so all can see.
>

> Thank you, Collin

A great resource on the Globe King 500 would be Mike/WA5CMI in Garland, TX.

Not sure Mike is a member of this group, but he's taking a GK500 and
stripped it down to the bare chassis, and rebuilt the thing all the way
back to being on the air.  He's on 3.890 with that GK500 *at this time*
and usually on every morning on 3.890, Monday thru Saturday, from about
6:30am till they get done.

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR