[AMRadio] GK500 OTA almost

Jim Candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Fri Jan 6 07:06:34 EST 2017

Collin,
   I am glad you made progress. Is it really fixed though? Think of this like a regenerative receiver that was breaking into oscillation. What you did could have been similar to turning the regen knob CCW till it wasn't oscillating. But is there enough regeneration left that might make the GK 500 final unstable under various tuning conditions and then under modulation?
   What I and others said still might need to be considered. Look at plate dip, screen peak, and maximum RF output. If they do not ALL occur at the same point, then the PA stage might take off under certain conditions, kind of like a dog seeing the tip of his tail, and deciding to go for it, round and round.
   Others have mentioned neutralization. This would be ideal, but WRL and Leo made a trade off to NOT do that. Doing so now might be a bigger project than what you want to take on.
   The neon bulb trick is handy here. Anytime it goes from orange to violet you have VHF/UHF energy present.
JimWd5JKO