[AMRadio] Burn in, yes or no?

CL in NC mjcal77 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 7 18:18:27 EST 2017

I hope this question does not take off on a tangent, but needed some input on firing up an old amp.  A fellow ham gave me a Heath SB200 he wants me to check out and sell for him.  The amp had not been turned on in at least 10 years.  I did the usual, ohm check and bring it up on the variac, etc., tubes out of course, and it seems to be working OK just sitting there making HV.  Only needed to replace one 4.7 M resistor in the HV meter string to get the meter to read right.  Would you put the tubes in, go back on the variac and with HV disconnected, bring up the 572B filaments a little at a time over several hours?  These are Cetron tubes, and the amp and tubes do show some mileage.

Charlie, W4MEC in NC