[AMRadio] 'A' battery

CL in NC mjcal77 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 9 22:12:58 EST 2017

I have an older radio with 1.5V filament, and after researching since I have no info on what type battery fit in it, the battery box takes a cell that has the dimensions of a 'G' cell.  The G today is a modern lithium for some gadget, but has anybody ever seen a G cell anywhere?  Other than a physical description on a few sites, no pictures exist.  If it is not a G and the G is about the height of 2 C cells stacked,  has anybody seen a battery box that takes 2 C cells, puts them in line and + to -, with no connection between them such that you have a double C cell battery but only 1.5 volts out?  A lantern battery contains 4 F cells, and even though half again bigger than a D, still too short.  Tried a few vintage radio sites for their knowledge, but no luck.  I have tried building a 1.5 v power supply to drive this, but the filter requirements are extremely hard to meet.  Even the slightest ripple in the single digit millivolt range makes the radio buzz, where battery power is dead quiet.

Charlie, W4MEC in NC