[AMRadio] 'A' battery

Geoff ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 13:14:55 EST 2017

On 01/09/2017 11:13 PM, Todd, KA1KAQ wrote:
> Sounds like one of those funky 50s batteries, Charlie. Something weird like
> a long C cell with a 9 volt type clip on one end?

Back in High School, in the Radio and TV class I was taking, I came
across a 9v looking battery - had the same exact 9v looking clip on top,
but it was about 2.5 times 'longer' than a 9v.

I had developed the habit of touching the 9v batteries to my tongue to
see how/if they were charged.

I tried that with this thing I found - just like the 9v's... a very
quick, ever so slight touch on the tongue and ... the Lights went Out!

I found myself knocked over a row of desks and flat on my butt!

Got my nerves back together again, and found that offensive temporary
storage of 'Hell Fury waiting to be unleashed' and looked at the thing,
and while it had the Cat jumping through the O in Ray-O-Vac, underneath
that, in very clear, plain and distinctive lettering, were the numerals
45 and the letter V afterward.

In all my 17 years of being raised with a Ham Operator/Broadcast Chief
Engineer, I'd never -seen- a 45v battery before, let alone -heard- of
one....

Oh, and I don't 'taste' batteries anymore after that, either.

Theventy three = Betht Regardth
-Geoff/W5OMR