[AMRadio] OT question

CL in NC mjcal77 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 17 12:54:14 EDT 2017

As  kid in 1963, I hooked a Ford spark coil to a Lionel train transformer and discovered how 25,000 volts felt when you stuck a nail in HV terminal, not intentionally mind you, I was trying to build a Jacob's Ladder. This apparently addled my brain as my old timerdom only starts about 1964 when I got into this radio game.  I would like to know from the older fellers, or anybody that has knowledge about this, which is about  the upper end tuning on vintage radios.  On their highest band, 10 meters, it seems to always go into the 34 and higher range, seldom to 6 meters though. Their sensitivity was not that great up there, neither was their stability.  I don't think I ever copied anything but buzzes and clicks in that range.   I know there was some utility service communications up there, stuff between power plants, and some low band VHF FM you had to slope tune, like the Highway Patrol in my area, but other than that, did anybody SWL anything above 10 meters on the old tube gear?

Charlie, W4MEC in NC