[AMRadio] Cross-posting

w5jo at brightok.net w5jo at brightok.net
Mon Jul 17 16:06:21 EDT 2017

What I am saying is when someone posts the same question to multiple
reflectors and groups with the same message as you mentioned.

I don't see a problem with that if it is a for sale ad but common
communications that is posted that way can cause confusion when people try
to answer.  If they are members of more than one group then the answer comes
from two groups.   While your view that it can be beneficial, the recent
discussion about closing this list was cross posted to the Boatanchors
reflector and, I feel pretty certain, that those members who do not have
membership here were confused.

I have seen subjects started here without cross posting in the beginning,
and were finished on Boatanchors.  Not all members here are members of
Boatanchors so they missed some of the discussion.  I don't like the
practice, but can't control what happens in that respect.  Also I won't
cause trouble for those who do it, but remember that if you start a
discussion here, it would be nice to finish it here for everyone's benefit.
And to a similar vein, I like to see answers to questions and posts here.
So if you hit the Reply All button it will come back.  You can edit the TO
line by eliminating the originator's address so only one answer will hit
their box.  As everyone saw, we have numerous readers who stated that they
benefit from the discussions here.  I like that idea.

Many times I see a message that is posted to AMRadio, Boatanchors,military
reflectors, Heath reflectors and the like.  Without thinking (imagine that)
I hit reply all so as to post a public response and it goes to all the
reflectors where I don't have a membership.  Strangely, those places where I
lack membership will send that message right back for some reason.  How dare
them....I answered the question.

This is no big issue for me other than if you post a message here looking
for an answer, it would be nice to see the replies.  They even help me
remember something or bring back grand memories.
73 all,

Jim
W5JO
Moderator