[AMRadio] HV Capacitor question

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 14:30:53 EDT 2017

Last summer my ~37  year old Whirlpool central A/C system quit.  The A
frame in the furnace output plenum was iced over.  I didn't know
anything about how to fix that so I had my local HVAC guy come in.
He's nearing retirement unfortunately because he's old enough to know
how to work on a system that doesn't have a computer diagnosis pc
board.   The belt on the blower motor was okay because I had replaced
that not long before this happened and the tension was right.   He
sprayed the A frame with Nu-Calgon Evap Foam No Rinse brand evaporator
coil cleaner.  Comes in 18 oz pressurized cans.   Supposed to clean
out the dirt in the A frame fins.   The fix however was that the
system was low on freon and he put in 2 1/2 pounds.  The old
refrigerant has a sunset on its manufacture by Dupont in a couple
years, being forced by the EPA I believe.   For now, they only make a
little and it is rationed among contractors who each are allowed to
only buy two small tanks of the stuff per week.   A tank about the
size of a bread box costs around 600 bucks now.  Told me when my
system loses freon next time it will be game over, a perfectly good
A/C only because the refrigerant is unobtainium.   And I know, what is
made now won't last 37 years.  Maybe you need refrigerant.    Get it
while you can.

73

Rob
K5UJ