[AMRadio] Cap question

CL in NC mjcal77 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 27 09:13:21 EDT 2017

Had to go back to find the story on the caps and reading volts across them when they got hot, but my comment was about the 10uf reading 11.  Don't forget the old days of electrolytics had their tolerance ratings in many cases -20 to +80% of printed value, on even the really good ones.  Even today, figuring when they built the rigs using caps like that, if a circuit called for a 40uf, if I can find a cap in the 32 to 73uf range in the proper voltage, at a good price, I'll get it.  Trying to be a purist to the rebuild and cap specific, and find that 40uf at 450V that cost 16 bucks, when the 39uf of equivalent quality cost 2, I'll go cheap.

In reference to the start cap, refrigerators and AC compressors can have their life extended by adding a 'Hard Start' kit, which is nothing more than a bigger start cap.  I have a compressor that I put a kit in over 22 years ago, and it is still humming along.  If you want a chuckle or two,  look up the thread on the word refrigerator.

Charlie, W4MEC in NC