[AMRadio] HVAC RFI Question

FRANK HUGHES hughes frsahu0003 at embarqmail.com
Sat Jul 29 20:07:20 EDT 2017

This last Winter, my son and I replaced the 1983 home heat pump with a new Goodman unit.
As we did all the work ourselves, I used the savings toward a better controller, vs the old 24vac thermostat.
The "ComfortNet" thing is a little computer. No 24 volt anything, uses shielded CAT-5 twisted pair to communicate with the compressor and air handler.

To keep the RFI out, I made sure to ground one end of the CAT-5 braid, to make a drain for whatever RF gets into the house from the shack.
So far, working fine.
73
Frank
KJ4OLL
PS(Another benefit - the XYL is no longer complaining about the house being 87 degrees w/ the old heat pump running flat out)