[AMRadio] HVAC RFI Question

Jim Candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Sun Jul 30 20:54:06 EDT 2017

      From: Gary Schafer <garyschafer at largeriver.net>
Hi Jim,

>You have a leak in the system. Usually the evaporator coil or the condenser
>coil. Most likely the evaporator coil.

Gary, likely so. The evaporator area on the 'A' coils is extremely corroded between the copper tubing and aluminum coils. The outdoor unit has similar issues. Then the issue with this system needs 12 pounds of R22 at $110/#. That is if it were to all leak out. Any repair would be very expensive, and likely short lived.
It has been around 105 here all week. My two main shade trees (west side of house) have died, and that means the house gets a lot more attic heat than in years past.
I have got to do something fast, and right now the HVAC guys are real busy..That means NO discounts, and perhaps 2-3 weeks out for a big job.
This morning I repaired, evacuated, and recharged one AC system in the spare car, and topped up my daily driver.
Two weeks ago I had to get a new car when the XYL's car ran out of Freon....for the cost of a Shrader valve, I had to spend almost $12K!
If i had time, and more equipment, I'd think of taking on this home AC job myself. There are systems on Craig's list quite often that are working fine, but removed from service to be replaced with a new higher SEER unit. Then there is the licensing issue; but some Ebay sellers will sell anything even when the local suppliers won't.

The RFI issue has turned into QRM issue from the XYL! :->
Jim Wd5JKO