[AMRadio] HVAC RFI Question

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 05:59:46 EDT 2017

When I was in high school and living with my parents in Mississippi
(where my 5 land call sign comes from) we had only a window unit for
the living room.  It could get pretty hot and humid in summer but I
don't remember 105 degrees except one year when I wasn't there in
1980.  We got by because we were in an old farm house in the country
and it was up on a small hill surrounded by pecan trees so it was
always in the shade.  The house had a wide hall going the length of
the house and three screened in porches.  You would open up the whole
place and air would move through it.  We didn't go outside and exert
ourselves in the middle of the day and drank iced drinks and we got by
mainly because the house was sited and built before A/C.   But I
remember my parents telling me that summer of 1980 when it was up over
100 every day for weeks on end, that they went to the mall every day.

Up here near Chicago we had one summer in 1995 where for several
periods the high temp. hit 100+ and the record at one point was 106.
I was younger then and I could handle it but over 600 people died that
summer up here due to heat related causes.  Up here we aren't used to
it.  We can deal with 30 below zero okay but not the high heat.

73

Rob
K5UJ