[AMRadio] What the ARRL failed to do....

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 16:20:52 EDT 2017

In ER#2 Leo Meyerson recalls his crystal manufacturing company during
WW2.  When the US got in the war, ham radio stopped, and so did Leo's
fledgling World Radio Labs.  He had to do something and heard the
military needed crystals.  He and another guy who knew how to grind
and had a homemade lapping machine made from a drill press, managed to
get an order to make some samples for the Signal Corps.  They worked
day and night for 3 days, and got the rocks ground and drove all night
from Council Bluffs Iowa to Chicago where they turned them in to a man
at Motorola who was supposed to evaluate them.  They had to wait
around for a few hours but at 2 p.m. this guy came out and told them
they passed the specification tests and gave them an order for 80,000
crystals at over $8 each.  Leo and his partner went back to Council
Bluffs and started hiring, set up a factory, got a bunch of lapping
machines and with war time deferments, spent the whole war years
making crystals.  They developed ways of getting the rocks in on
frequency while still on the grinder, and passed this on to other
contractors.  At the height of productivity they had a payroll of 500
people.  When the war ended, Leo wanted to get back into selling
transmitters so his partner continued the crystal business through the
Korean conflict and after that sold it to TRW.

Rob
K5UJ