[AMRadio] I wonder what happened to them

Robert Nickels ranickel at comcast.net
Sun Jun 11 15:09:42 EDT 2017

On 6/11/2017 1:28 PM, Rob Atkinson wrote:
>   trying to compete with off shore labor costs

And transistors...and all the things they allowed to be created that
people were willing to pay for.

Had it not been for (dare I say it?) - audiophiles - and guitar players,
we'd be fighting over a dwindling number of vacuum tubes.  Instead we
can buy newly manufactured tubes and everything required to make
tube-based products, even though the number of varieties is much more
limited and the products are often described in rather flamboyant terms!

Here's what might be a partial list of companies currently producing
tubes, several of which have been doing so for decades:

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/tube-factories

A longer and more detailed list can be seen here:
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?44432-State-of-the-Vacuum-Tube-Industry-2016

73, Bob W9RAN