[AMRadio] Rocks and Roll, crystal gear

Jay Bromley jayw5jay at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 20:59:54 EDT 2017

HI guys,

I thought with all the recent banter of International Crystal closing down
the below kit may be of interests to a few?  Please direct all questions to
Rex W1REX and not me.  I am just the messenger and reposting this from
another reflector.  Looks like a fun kit!

Thank you and 73 de w5jay/jay..

Gangue,

Since my very first field trip in 9th grade Earth Science class where we
visited a quarry and I picked up a beautiful piece of crystal clear quartz,
I've been fascinated with rocks....and fossils! Quartz andgalena crystals have
always been my favorites primarily because I was also into electronics and
knew their hidden powers. To others, they were just rocks but to me they were
the tools for communication. I never got to play with quartz but I did
build a few crystal radios using galena crystals purchased from rock shops. It
took a trip to Ozarkcon before I could actually find my own galena
crystals... Enough history.

We had another successful Buildathon at FDIM...with the usual glitches here
and there. We had about 40 builders in the session and I believe everyone
left the room with a working kit. This year's build was an integrated
Crystal Oscillator & Frequency Counter combo specifically designed to aid
in grinding FT-243 crystals. I managed to wipe out my work-in-progress
frequency code in the middle of the night and couldn't get it back in
shape. I did have a beta kit working great so we ended up borrowing the micro
chip in that to verify everyone's completed kit sothat went fairly well. I
had to spend a couple of weeks back home reviving the program and getting
the remaining kinks out of it. I also taped a few videos to explain the kit
build, calibration, mods etc.All the information about the kit is now up on
my website. Everybody has received their care package now so I can start
selling them off my website.

In my Miscellaneous Parts department, there are listings for the other
FT-243 items that I offer. Notably, I managed to talk a crystal supplier to
make me some FT-243 quartz blanks! I now have factory fresh FT-243 blanks
cut for 7015 and ready to grind up into more QRP friendly areas of the 40m
band. If you need a REAL FT-243 crystal or socket for a REAL spy or vintage
radio, I got 'em... and the means to move 'em!

Crystal Oscillator/Frequency Counter kit: http://qrpme.com/?p=product&id=Q17

Rocks & Sockets: http://qrpme.com/?p=parts

Rex  W1REX