[AMRadio] Jeff May, W0XV, SK

Donald Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Wed Mar 1 23:14:54 EST 2017

> This is terrible news.  Completely unexpected.  Jeff had not long ago put
a rig
> he got from K9YQQ on the air and was enjoying every minute of it.  This
just
> after Jim KJ9T recently passing away.  I got to meet Jeff once when he was
up
> here at a northern Illinois hamfest selling microphones (and I got a great
deal
> on one--his prices were fair and decent).  My condolences to his family
and
> all the hams down South who worked Jeff regularly.
>
> And, you all take care of yourselves.  We don't need more SKs.
>
> Rob
> K5UJ

I met Jeff in person two years ago at the Huntsville hamfest.  We split a
hotel room and hosted a small get-together with some others the afternoon
before the hamfest the following day.  That's where I first met Steve, W2VMC
and his XYL Angie, W5VMC.  I have worked Jeff many times on 75.

Now that I think about it, he may have suspected this was coming but just
didn't talk about it.  Several times he told me over the air after he
acquired that rig that "this will probably be my last transmitter".  Also, a
couple of times in recent QSOs I remember the phrase "end of life" coming up
in the conversation.

He and I are almost exactly the same age, and I think he got his ham ticket
in 1959, just a few months before I got mine.

R.I.P.

Don k4kyv

---