[AMRadio] Yeeee Hawwww

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Mon May 1 19:52:29 EDT 2017

On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 10:23 PM, K5MYJ <macklinbob at gmail.com> wrote:
> The original Novice license did not require much (if any) technical
> knowledge. It really only required the legal stuff and the 5WPM CW
> requirement.

Weeeell, I'm not sure that's entirely true.  I think you got asked
about Ohm's law; maybe a few other things.

> During their one year license period they had to learn enough technical
> stuff to upgrade.

True.  And hopefully avoid the Technician trap.

> But to get new people the ARRL has been continuously DUMBING DOWN the
> requirements for the current entry level.

The big one was eliminating CW testing but I am not sure ARRL can be
blamed for that.  That one goes to No Code International, and a few
folks who claimed the CW test violated the ADA and went to court if I
remember right.

> I head very little HF CW here except on contest days. And I think a lot of
> that is computer generated.

Lots of fakers.  Operate with a bug.

> In this area Ham Radio is in decline.

Seems a bit more lively here in the Rust Belt.

73

Rob
K5UJ