[AMRadio] Ham Radio in decline?

Jim Tonne Tonne at Comcast.net
Tue May 2 12:05:54 EDT 2017

  There's nothing wrong with the old methods, but there is also an
opportunity to blend old and new in ways that motivate potential new
hams to learn and do more rather than expecting the hobby to remain
constant or revert to a bygone era.

> 73, Bob W9RAN

And that note echoed something that I have been doing!!  I have been
designing a
transmitter using LTspice - a modern computer analysis program.  The
transmitter
is following in the footsteps of a speech processor that was done two
years ago
that I designed the same way.  Done using that program, then laid out a
pair of PC boards
using the computer, ordered the boards, built them up, tested them and
they worked
fine.  Presented the result as a talk to the Oak Ridge TN Amateur Radio
Club as a
talk.  The transmitter now being done is a 25L6 oscillator driving a
pair of 25L6s in parallel on
40 meters.  Circuitry strikingly like that of 1936 including a PI-net
output.  It  *will*  deliver
about 12 watts output on 7050 kc.  As Bob says, a blend of old and new
ways.  The hobby simply changes.

- JimT W4ENE

---
http://www.avg.com