[AMRadio] History of AM power proceeding now viewable on FCC website

Don Rasmussen don.kd2fo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 17:22:39 EST 2017

Hi, Just today I came upon an ARRL publication from 1970, entitled "Single
Sideband for the Radio Amateur".     It has an interesting article that
explains AM PEP power correctly......which is NOT 4X Carrier as largely
spoken of today.....and I can also prove it as an engineer.

The article on page 9 of the 1970 SSB Manual is entitled "Why Single
Sideband".....it contains a great explanation of Amplitude Modulation, with
FULL carrier and illustrates it using Figures #1, #2, #3 contained in the
article.

I am not an expert on the FCC proceedings, and our AM legal limit does
depend on FCC WORDINGS within part 97 as well as outright limitations, but
couldn't my 2 cents worth because recent mis-understandings.     I am
willing to explain my position, but am hoping to write an article.....if
someone will publish it.

73, Don, Kd2fo