[AMRadio] Any Llitz wire experts left?

CL in NC mjcal77 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 30 20:01:21 EST 2017

OK, don't laugh, but I am redoing a Knightkit R55A receiver.   I received it with the 75 meter antenna coil fried by someone who apparently made a wrong connection.  The primary is burned up, the secondary below it is spared.
One of the pluses to Litz is the reduced capacitance between wires when stacked on top of each other as in a pi or overlapping coil, and it's natural stickyness such that it will hold its shape.  Regular enameled, which I have in the correct size, is too slippery to overlap and hold its shape without some kind of side keeper and coil dope. The electrical usefulness of Litz, also rolls off about 3MC, so it is basically not needed above 80 meters except for making compact high number of turns coils that will hold their shape.  Other than Litz mechanical pluses, any reason to think a coil wound with solid enameled would with the same turns in the same space not work as well?

Charlie, W4MEC in NC