[AMRadio] Tube question

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 17:31:50 EDT 2017

Charlie, there's a bunch of stuff on the internet for VT4C amps. No idea
who, if anyone manufactures them but it's a favorite tube for the DIY
crowd. Lower powered cousin to the 845, more or less.

Here's a youtube video of one such amp using a very early brass
based/tipped top version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeE9xXGrDzU

The Asians, Russians, and Chinese really go after the original tubes. If
you think 211s are pricey, check 845s sometime. I liquidated my stock of
845s and many GL-211s years back to free up some cash for other projects.
Prices were high then (845s were averaging a kilobuck, less if used, 211s
$200-$500) which no doubt helped drive the China connection.

Never used them but I can tell you that the envelope size is noticeably
smaller. Not a lot, but it is noticeable - if that matters. I'd say check
around some of the audio sites online and see what folks have to say. From
an RF-perspective as well as over-air, make/shape/size shouldn't matter.

~ Todd, KA1KAQ/4