[AMRadio] Tek 535/545 vertical amp calibration question

Jim Candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Sun Oct 29 12:51:40 EDT 2017

Larry,
   Those scopes are great shack heaters in the winter! Running yours might save some coal. I once had a 547 with 1A4 plug in. That was one of the best scopes I've ever owned. That series has a weakness though with the HV CRT flyback circuit. The potted ferrite transformer gets lossy as the potting (epoxy?) ages. As time goes by the closed loop regulator driving the 6AU5 (?) goes open loop, and from there the CRT begins to dim quickly. There was a retired Textronix guy named Dean (?) back 30 years ago selling new transformers.
   As to your question, best I have heard, just leave those adjustments alone if you don't have an EP53A. If you proceed, you might make things worse then they already might be. Still, with enough time, some level of experimentation might produce the results your looking for.
Good Luck,JimWd5JKO