[AMRadio] Globe Scout now working

w5jo at brightok.net w5jo at brightok.net
Fri Jan 5 10:36:20 EST 2018

Thanks for telling us Charlie,

I have a Globe Champion 300A that had poor audio when I got it.  It, too,
had a factory mistake in that the bypass capacitor in the second stage audio
was in backwards, effectively reducing the audio.

Previous owners did not find the problem rather they put 811A tubes in the
Modulator rather than the stock 809s to increase the modulation percentage.
After I changed the capacitor, along with all the others that needed
changing, it worked as it should.  Funny, after all these years finding a
mistake like that, and congrats on getting the Scout going.

Something that can complicate the WRL transmitters is that the schematic
shipped with the radio does not always show the way it was wired.  I have
the original manual for my Globe King 500A and it shows the modulator tubes
to be 5514 rather than the 811 in it.  The 811 was stenciled on the chassis.

Jim
W5JO