[AMRadio] Bootlegg'n on the hambands

CL in NC mjcal77 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 13 10:01:43 EST 2018

I wander through ebay now and then looking for vintage stuff.  Amazing what turns up when you just put 'vintage receiver' in their search box.  When the ebay algorithm figures out what you are looking for, they put 'suggestions' on the bottom of the page, most of the time will be on your subject matter, other times, if it is radio related they put anything radio in there.  Which is where this ad came up: Stryker SR94HPC Compact 45 Watt 10 Meter Radio.  This is a 45 watt AM/FM radio for ten meters.  I looked up info about it, and got a lot from 'not hams'.  With a snip of the cryptically described 'white wire', you are transformed to the CB freqs.  Apparently the white wire, is the one thing that keeps it US legal, but allows it to be 'opened up' for it's European market.  If you remember in the days of the analog cell phones, the FCC made it illegal to make any scanner that would receive those frequencies, or even be modifiable to do so.  Think that is still in place, but not sure how you decode the new modes to listen in even if you could make a scanner receive those freqs.  So the FCC allows stuff like this to be sold here, tell you it is against the law to 'snip the white wire', and pretty much ignores it after that.  I have a friend that sold, repaired and worked for Icom over in Africa for many years.  The Icom rigs he sold came with preset freqs on all bands, usually the bottom of the band edge.  There is so little FCC style enforcement, any and all Icom gear was sold to anybody that wanted a radio for whatever reason. He said the hambands over there were full of the rigs he sold, still on the ham bands because the customers never changed the presets.

Charlie, W4MEC in NC