[Hallicrafters] Tube 50L6-GT / S-38D

Troglodite at aol.com Troglodite at aol.com
Thu Jul 6 13:07:40 EDT 2006

In a message dated 7/6/2006 11:49:18 AM Central Standard Time,
kgoodwin at houston.rr.com writes:

> I have a Hickok 6000A tube tester but can't find the settings for the
> audio output tube in the S-38D; specifically, a 50L6.  Any
> recommendations on how one tests this tube other than just seeing if
> it plays in the S-38D?

Actually, that's really the best way. With old radios, one of the most
reliable parts are the tubes. If they have lasted 40-50 years, chances are they
are still serviceable. There are a lot of opinions on tube testers, but unless
you have a VERY good one, only very basic good/bad tests are possible. The
best  test is in the radio itself. This is particularly true of RF amplifier
and/or  converter tubes. They may test fine but perform poorly in the radio. In a
series  set like the S-38D, if the tubes light up but the radio doesn't play,
it's rare  that a tube is the problem.

If you are restoring an S-38 and need additional help, feel free to post
here or write me direct, whichever is more convenient for you.

Regards,

Doug Moore