[Hallicrafters] My T-4XC has developed a problem

kc9cdt at aol.com kc9cdt at aol.com
Sun May 1 00:08:58 EDT 2011

Hi Drake gang...
Tonight went to tune up on 40 (has been fine up til now).
Noticed the Plate current went WAY up right away!
So, I turned the gain full CCW, stil the plate current goes up to .4 or
so in tune

Then I tried it in USB, no problem the TX tuned up normally...
So it only fails in LSB

I tried all bands...the only ones that fail are 80 and 40. I tried USB
and LSB on all bands...40 and 80 are the only ones that fail.

If I detune the preselector way off, it does not do it....but, as I
tune the preselector and approach the band segment....off it goes
again...if I keep turning the perselector it bumps up, then back down
VERY quickly...

Maybe some kind of oscillation? I don't let it stay in that state for
long!

Worked several DX station using the L=4B as well on 20...no problems.
So the bias, and the TX is in general healthy. Power supply was
re-built using Heathkit board a few monthes agoand all has been fine.
Any ideas??

Thanks,
73,
Lee, KC9CDT