[Hallicrafters] Comdel Speech Processor

David C. Hallam dhallam at knology.net
Fri May 6 09:54:40 EDT 2011

I know the Comdel II speech processor is not technically a Hallicrafters but
it was from the Hallicrafters era and used with a lot of Hallicrafters transmitters

I have one with problems and would like to correspond with some one with
some technology of how they work.  I am measuring the carrier frequency
at 17.34 KHz.  Some how I seem to remember reading it was much higher
that.  I though about 85 KHz and also just read on an old tentec
reflector post that is 500 KHz.  Does anyone know for sure?

Also, the balanced modulator doesn't seem to be very balanced.  With no
audio input, I am getting carrier out about -36 dB down with a very
nasty looking waveform.

Anyone like to exchange emails about this thing?  I have a schematic and
operating instructions including a block diagram of how it works.  There
is no parts list but parts are well labeled on the schematic except for
the transistors which seem to have only house numbers.

David
KW4DH

--
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."
Thomas Jefferson

"We may consider each generation as a distinct nation, with a right, by the will of its majority, to bind themselves, but none to bind the succeeding generation, more than the inhabitants of another country."
Thomas Jefferson