[Hallicrafters] HT-9

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Tue May 10 23:54:41 EDT 2011

In 1958 I started checking into the Gulf Coast Hurricane net on 3925 AM.
Norm, W5JHS used the HT-9 to call the net which covered from Florida to
Texas.  He was good copy virtually everywhere with his 100 watts.

I visited him in 1962 and he was having a problem
with the HT-9 and needed the cabinet removed.  I knew Fabian W5IBO had a
shop lift that made removing cabinets from Tek 511AD scopes and the like
fairly easy.  With the lift the three of us got the cover off in no time.
He ordered parts from Barry Electronics in NY and was up in a few days.
By this time he had a hallicrafters SSB Transmitter, too.

The HT-9 was almost as big as my homebrew 4-400A amp with 811A modulators.
I seem to recall
he had installed handles on each side so he could
move it around.  I saw another HT-9 years alter and it looked like the stock
HT-9 had no handles.

73 Dave K4JRB