[Hallicrafters] HT-9

radioart at frontiernet.net radioart at frontiernet.net
Wed May 11 08:18:28 EDT 2011

Hello Wilson,

I had two HT-9's some years ago while I lived in CA.  Very nice transmitter.  Great audio with the 4 6L6's and 814 final.  Puts out about 80w in AM mode and the audio BW is quite wide, something like 7kHz if I remember right, so you should sound very nice....

It uses plug in coils to get on each band.  I use to have a complete set of all the interstage coils but only had the 80m output coil.  You can make all the output coils you need, they are pretty simple.

I just recapped the unit and make sure all the resistors, tubes and transformers were good of course and she worked as advertised.

I drove mine with two different VFO's over the course of a couple of years.  One was the HT-18 (which Carl has now) and the other was the Millen 90700 (which I'm using in my Millen station now).

The one I got working had a several flash over's from the 866's and opened up the HV winding of the HV transformer.  Thats where the spare HT-9 came in.  It donated its HV transformer and I replaced the 866's with 3B28's and all was well for many years.  I sold mine in 2000 just before I moved back to MN.

Have fun, its big but a nice conversation piece when on the air....

73's

Dennis KØEOO