[Hallicrafters] HT-9

WA1KBQ at aol.com WA1KBQ at aol.com
Sat May 14 15:05:22 EDT 2011

Wilson,

Most HT-9 owners I know of have two for whatever reason and that is  true
in my case as well, I also have two. I found an early black  version first
and later located a post-war gray version that was more complete.  The black
one was missing most of its coils but a gray one came  along afterwards which
had most of the coils included so I bought  it mostly to support the black
one but later changed my mind and restored  it. As is the case with some of
the early Hallicrafters  receivers it can be a bit of a puzzle to get an
HT-9 apart. Both of my HT-9s are currently packed away in boxes  at the bottom
of a stack so I will have to go on memory to attempt to answer  your
question. I think there are extensions mounted to each side of the chassis  which
makes it too wide to clear the flanges on the cabinet. I usually
disassemble everything I restore as far as is practical because I like to  restore
individual parts to reassemble but I seem to remember the chassis  would not
clear without disassembly in these areas. The front panel is a part of  the
puzzle also, it has to come off first I think. Not hard if you know this
beforehand but if you don't have one under your belt you may have to  proceed
carefully at first as you figure out the order of disassembly. Added to  this
of course is the 120 or so pounds which will work against your best efforts
at being careful.

HT-9s are often found with an incomplete set of original coils.  To add to
the mystery I have noticed original HT-9 which have not been used  in many
many years are usually discovered with a 10-meter tank coil plugged  in and
all others gone.

Regards, Greg

In a message dated 5/10/2011 6:51:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,