[Hallicrafters] S40A Help

R Bottomley rbottomleysr at dslextreme.com
Sun May 15 16:26:26 EDT 2011

I have a Hallicrafters S40A that I bought in 1948? And the problem is that I
cannot find a schematic for this model.

The rectifier in my radio is an 80, not a 5Y3 as shown in all of the A model
schematics. The S40 had the 80 but the wiring in my S40A is different

from what is shown in the S40 schematics. (don't remember where as it was a
long time ago that I looked into it).

Around 1955 I wrote to Hallicrafters for the correct schematic but the one
they sent me shows the 5Y3, not the 80 tube.

Does anyone have any information on this S40A  that appears to be an interim
model between the S40 and the S40A?

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Bob Bottomley