[Hallicrafters] S40A Help

Ronald W. Evans cosmos41 at ix.netcom.com
Sun May 15 18:40:48 EDT 2011

Bob,

I can't help you with the schematic issue, but the rectifier question is, I believe, clarified by Chuck Dachis (Radios by Hallicrafters, pg. 49)

In the entry for the S-40, S-40U, S-40A, and S-40AU Dachis has, in part,:

"TUBES USED: 80 RECTIFIER...ETC."

"THE ONLY DIFFERENCE I HAVE FOUND BETWEEN THE S-40 AND THE S-40A IS THE COLOR OF THE DIAL....THERE MAY ALSO BE SOME VALUE CHANGES ON SOME CAPACITORS & RESISTORS."

"RUN 3 OF THE S-40A USED A 5Y3 AS RECTIFIER AND THE 6H6 2nd DETECTOR IS WIRED DIFFERENTLY THAN IN RUN 1& 2."

Your S-40A would be, according to the above, from Run 1 or Run 2.  Perhaps this will be of help.

73,

Ron Evans - K5MVR