[Hallicrafters] S40A Help

W4AWM at aol.com W4AWM at aol.com
Sat May 21 00:16:28 EDT 2011

Hi Mike,

Typically, the receivers I have that were Canadian built have an SC
designation. I have an SC-77 and one other, but I am not at home at the moment
and can't recall what model it is. Also, the SC models have  white lettering
for both the SC model number and the   Hallicrafters brand name on the other
side of the panel.  If I remember,  I'll check the other one when I get
home.  Also I have never seen anything  but an SX-28, SX-32 and a few others
with orange dials. I don't believe the  dials were that color when new but
changed with age.  I am not sure of the  original color. Same thing for the
meter faces in those models.  I have  never seen or heard of an S-40 or S-77
model with anything but a green dial. The  only other non standard face I am
aware of is on some S-77s where the background  was white and the lettering
was white.  These models are plagued by flaking  dial paint. If you get one or
work on one, don't touch the dial at  all. Never attempt to clean it or
even try to blow dust off of it, just  stay away from it.  The S-76 had a
similar plastic dial to the
 S-40 series but it was black with white lettering. The bandspread  dial
was calibrated.

Hallicrafters did produce a large number of home entertainment radios in
Canada. These were typically All American Fives with octal or miniature
tubes.  I have a huge collection of them.

73,

John,  W4AWM

In a message dated 5/20/2011 10:19:10 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,