[Hallicrafters] Happy Memorial Day Weekend

Richard Knoppow 1oldlens1 at ix.netcom.com
Sat May 28 16:51:45 EDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "rbethman" <rbethman at comcast.net>
To: "'hallicrafters'" <Hallicrafters at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Saturday, May 28, 2011 9:48 AM
Subject: [Hallicrafters] Happy Memorial Day Weekend

>I am sending this as a reminder that Memorial Day is a day
>set aside as
> a Holiday for the Fallen men and women whom have given the
> ultimate to
> our country.
>
> I would like to add that it ALSO is a time to reflect on
> those whom are
> CURRENTLY putting it ALL on the line in our behalf.
>
> Bob - N0DGN
> Ret. E-7
> Callsign Witch Doctor

    I am giving away my age when I tell you that when I was
in grammar school we celebrated Armistice Day, now combined
with Memorial Day. Armistice Day, the eleventh of November,
the date of the armistice of WW-1. It was set aside to
memorialize those lost in one of the deadliest wars of all
time. We made paper poppies; the significance of this has
probably been lost to those not pretty old but was because
of the poppy fields of Flanders where so many men died. Of
course we also celebrated Memorial day, originally meant to
commemorate those lost in the American Civil War. We also
celebrated V-J Day, now pretty much forgotten, to
commemorate the end of WW-2.
    While Memorial Day has become simply an excuse for along
weekend it should be a celebrated solemnly, a great many men
and women died in these wars and left an appalling amount of
grief behind.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles