[Hallicrafters] SR-2000 HUM PROBLEMS

W4AWM at aol.com W4AWM at aol.com
Tue May 31 18:21:43 EDT 2011

Hi Jim,

I don't tout myself to be an expert but as they say, a little knowledge is
a dangerous thing. These are just my thoughts and I am not an expert in the
 National Electrical code, so here goes:

I glean from your message that you are speaking of a rig operation on
125V.  If this is so and you switch the neutral, you are essentially  switching
the ground, too since both neutral and ground wind up in the same but
different buss bars in your service entrance box. Even though the rig is
grounded, doesn't this arrangement either make the chassis hot of blow a fuse? I
realize depending on which way a non polarized plug was inserted on the old
AC/DC sets, the chassis could become hot. That is why when a set such as the
 S-38  is rewired with a 3 wire cord set or has a polarized plug installed,
 one has to make sure that it is the hot wire that is switched,

I may be totally wrong on this and I'm sure the fires will be lit, but
that's the way I see it. I am sure you have done this before and it evidently
works, but I'm really curious about it.

One thing I do know is that when installing a service entrance transfer
switch, it is against code to switch the neutral.

I bow to your expertise.

73,

John,  W4AWM