[Hallicrafters] FPM-300 Mods

Dale Parfitt parinc1 at frontier.com
Sat Feb 4 23:39:08 EST 2012

Regarding the FPM-300 changes listed by KA0SVL under the Restorations & Mods section, has anyone looked closely at these?

The first section deals with ALC changes on the preselector board- all components there begin with a 5. It may be self correcting because later in the same sentence R616 is referred to as the correct R516. The correct nomencalture is R516.

My question however is in the AGC section where the text refers to shunting  R511 with a 10K resistor. It does not appear to me that R511 has anything to do with the AGC and I think the author must have meant R508?

Any clarification?

Finally, on a different subject, as I work my way through my Mark II I find I need to have the mic gain wide open to achieve a decent level of audio. I have tried  2 different mics- but will try a 3rd. Has anyone else had this problem? I am changing out the electrolytics in the mic audio path and have yet to plug the 9MHz board  back in to see if these make any difference.

Tnx,
Dale W4OP