[Hallicrafters] S-39 Advice sought

John Gindlesberger jhgphd at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 15:51:19 EST 2012

I'm new to this group and wondered if someone might be able to offer
some advice.  I recently purchased a Hallicrafters S-39 receiver.
This is a WWII vintage morale receiver.  It is in pretty good cosmetic
condition, but had all 60+ years of crud.  I cleaned it up, checked
the tubes--all good!, and thought I'd see if it would play.  I put it
on my variac and started at 40 V, slowly working my way up.  At 90V,
the neon light came on and at 100V there was a very faint noise.  At
110, it really sprang to life and it sounds absolutely wonderful!  I'm
amazed that something this old, with no obvious signs of maintenance
still works.

Now, the problem.  Both the main tuning and bandspread dial cords are
broken.  There is no way to get to the pulleys without taking off the
front panel, but it looks like that will require considerable work
since all the switches are riveted to it.  I know it's a stretch, but
has anyone restrung one of these?  Advice?  I downloaded the manual,
but it offers nothing in this regard.

John
WA9FNJ