[Hallicrafters] Cleaning a Wrinkle Painted cabinet

Larry Young larry112249 at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 13 01:07:59 EST 2012

Thank you all for your comments on how to clean wrinkled paint. I hope to
dive into the cleaning tomorrow, but have not decided on which material to
use the non- pumiced GoJo or the Scrubbing Bubbles - which I have used on an
SX-110 chassis to good effect. For the protecting the old patina on bronze I
use Johnson's floor wax, I am not sure it would be good for the black
wrinkle paint, but sure is for bronze items and furniture. I will probably
go the Pledge route, but if I am not happy with it will look at the bowling
alley or butcher's wax materials.

On a side note - I have followed the discussions on how to create the
wrinkled finish, but do not recall if anyone knew how it was done back in
the 20's - 40's. I suspect the paint was a Toluene or more volatile (Ether)
based paint that evaporated so fast it pulled the paint creating the wrinkle
effect. Such a volatile material today would most likely fall into the ozone
depletor or smog category and is gone.

Larry

Ventura, CA