From mark.k3msb at gmail.com Sat Apr 2 11:38:21 2016 From: mark.k3msb at gmail.com (Mark K3MSB) Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2016 11:38:21 -0400 Subject: [Hallicrafters] SX-101A Rubber U-Channels Message-ID: Hello all I have a friend that is restoring an SX-101A. The rubber U-channels that hold that dial glass and scale in place are dried up and crumbling. Does anyone have any to part with, or recommend another solution? Thanks Mark K3MSB From jbrannig at verizon.net Sat Apr 2 12:22:16 2016 From: jbrannig at verizon.net (jbrannig) Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2016 12:22:16 -0400 Subject: [Hallicrafters] [Boatanchors] SX-101A Rubber U-Channels Message-ID: <065oyc00ngup253un5o2nrjl.1459614136844@email.android.com> I've had great luck using ArmorAll to restore dried out rubber. Remove the piece and soak it well with ArmorAll, lay it flat in a small container and let it sit in the puddle. ?Turn it occasionally to keep it whetted. It can take a week before suppleness will return. Jim??? Sent from my Galaxy Tab? A-------- Original message --------From: Mark K3MSB Date: 04/02/2016 11:38 AM (GMT-05:00) To: Boatanchors List , List Hallicrafters Subject: [Boatanchors] SX-101A Rubber U-Channels Hello all I have a friend that is restoring an SX-101A.? The rubber U-channels that hold that dial glass and scale in place are dried up and crumbling. Does anyone have any to part with, or recommend another solution? Thanks Mark K3MSB ______________________________________________________________ Boatanchors mailing list Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/boatanchors Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm Post: mailto:Boatanchors at mailman.qth.net List Administrator: Duane Fischer, W8DBF ** For Assistance: dfischer at usol.com ** This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to jbrannig at verizon.net From w5jo at brightok.net Sat Apr 2 13:30:49 2016 From: w5jo at brightok.net (w5jo at brightok.net) Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2016 12:30:49 -0500 Subject: [Hallicrafters] [Boatanchors] SX-101A Rubber U-Channels In-Reply-To: References: Message-ID: <49CB48A8882E44D49162EF98B68C8A7D@JimPC> Hi Mark, Aircraft supply places has numerous types and sizes of that stuff. Try looking there if no better alternation presents itself. Try Aircraft Spruce and Specialty. Jim W5JO -----Original Message----- Hello all I have a friend that is restoring an SX-101A. The rubber U-channels that hold that dial glass and scale in place are dried up and crumbling. Does anyone have any to part with, or recommend another solution? Thanks Mark K3MSB From radio at daileyservices.com Sat Apr 2 14:36:46 2016 From: radio at daileyservices.com (radio at daileyservices.com) Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2016 12:36:46 -0600 Subject: [Hallicrafters] SX-28 IF can (T-3) Message-ID: <519CA6E5AF9E418E8AE5A5F27D9AE114@w0eaj> Picked up a working SX-28 yesterday; partially recapped and aside from dirty switches and pots, IS working. It does however, have a "modern" JW miller IF can in place of T-3.. it works but I'd like to get my hands on an original. I'm also looking for the phenolic piece that holds the terminals for the speaker. The terminals ARE there, but the phenolic is essentially gone. Under the heading "how 'bout that?", I have a PM-23 that I'd sold, but never got money for, so kept it. Well, shazzam - that's the EXACT speaker shown for it in the '45 Handbook. Sometimes ya gotta hold your mouth right! Tom - W0EAJ --- This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active. http://www.avast.com From jbalestrini at surewest.net Sat Apr 2 16:52:43 2016 From: jbalestrini at surewest.net (Joe Balestrini) Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2016 13:52:43 -0700 Subject: [Hallicrafters] SX-28 IF can (T-3) In-Reply-To: <519CA6E5AF9E418E8AE5A5F27D9AE114@w0eaj> References: <519CA6E5AF9E418E8AE5A5F27D9AE114@w0eaj> Message-ID: Hi Tom, I assume you are going to rebuild/recap your SX-28. I just got an SX28 and plan on rebuilding it, too. Perhaps we can compare notes. Joe KG6IMI > On Apr 2, 2016, at 11:36 AM, wrote: > > Picked up a working SX-28 yesterday; partially recapped and aside from dirty switches and pots, IS working. It does however, have a "modern" JW miller IF can in place of T-3.. it works but I'd like to get my hands on an original. I'm also looking for the phenolic piece that holds the terminals for the speaker. The terminals ARE there, but the phenolic is essentially gone. Under the heading "how 'bout that?", I have a PM-23 that I'd sold, but never got money for, so kept it. Well, shazzam - that's the EXACT speaker shown for it in the '45 Handbook. Sometimes ya gotta hold your mouth right! Tom - W0EAJ > > --- > This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active. > http://www.avast.com > ______________________________________________________________ > Hallicrafters mailing list > Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/hallicrafters > Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm > Post: mailto:Hallicrafters at mailman.qth.net > > List Administrator: Duane Fischer, W8DBF > ** For Assistance: dfischer at usol.com ** > > > This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net > Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html > From joeconnor53 at yahoo.com Sat Apr 2 17:49:05 2016 From: joeconnor53 at yahoo.com (Joe Connor) Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2016 21:49:05 +0000 (UTC) Subject: [Hallicrafters] SX-28 IF can (T-3) In-Reply-To: References: Message-ID: <1771628547.1352540.1459633745765.JavaMail.yahoo@mail.yahoo.com> I assume that you guys have Phil Nelson's article on restoring an SX-28, the Western Historic Radio Museum restoration article and the military manual. Those are invaluable resources. They are fun receivers to restore because they have the classic boatanchor look and perform so well when you're done.? If you're missing any of those materials, please let me know and I'll get them to you. They will make restoration easier.? Joe Connor On Saturday, April 2, 2016 5:01 PM, Joe Balestrini wrote: Hi Tom, I assume you are going to rebuild/recap your SX-28.? I just got an SX28 and plan on rebuilding it, too.? Perhaps we can compare notes.? Joe KG6IMI > On Apr 2, 2016, at 11:36 AM, wrote: > > Picked up a working SX-28 yesterday; partially recapped and aside from dirty switches and pots, IS working.? It does however, have a "modern" JW miller IF can in place of T-3.. it works but I'd like to get my hands on an original.? I'm also looking for the phenolic piece that holds the terminals for the speaker.? The terminals ARE there, but the phenolic is essentially gone.? Under the heading "how 'bout that?", I have a PM-23 that I'd sold, but never got money for, so kept it.? Well, shazzam - that's the EXACT speaker shown for it in the '45 Handbook.? Sometimes ya gotta hold? your mouth right!? Tom - W0EAJ > > --- > This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active. > http://www.avast.com > ______________________________________________________________ > Hallicrafters mailing list > Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/hallicrafters > Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm > Post: mailto:Hallicrafters at mailman.qth.net > > List Administrator: Duane Fischer, W8DBF > ** For Assistance: dfischer at usol.com ** > > > This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net > Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html > ______________________________________________________________ Hallicrafters mailing list Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/hallicrafters Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm Post: mailto:Hallicrafters at mailman.qth.net List Administrator: Duane Fischer, W8DBF ** For Assistance: dfischer at usol.com ** This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html From jbalestrini at surewest.net Sat Apr 2 18:31:29 2016 From: jbalestrini at surewest.net (Joe Balestrini) Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2016 15:31:29 -0700 Subject: [Hallicrafters] SX-28 IF can (T-3) In-Reply-To: <1771628547.1352540.1459633745765.JavaMail.yahoo@mail.yahoo.com> References: <1771628547.1352540.1459633745765.JavaMail.yahoo@mail.yahoo.com> Message-ID: <792A5EEC-2C3A-455C-9A3B-665DE1966B97@surewest.net> Hi Joe, I wrote to ER Magazine to get reprints of Phil Nelson?s 2-part series on restoring the SX-28 but that issue was out of print. If you have them I would be grateful for a copy. Joe > On Apr 2, 2016, at 2:49 PM, Joe Connor wrote: > > I assume that you guys have Phil Nelson's article on restoring an SX-28, the Western Historic Radio Museum restoration article and the military manual. Those are invaluable resources. They are fun receivers to restore because they have the classic boatanchor look and perform so well when you're done. > > If you're missing any of those materials, please let me know and I'll get them to you. They will make restoration easier. > > > Joe Connor > > > On Saturday, April 2, 2016 5:01 PM, Joe Balestrini wrote: > > > Hi Tom, I assume you are going to rebuild/recap your SX-28. I just got an SX28 and plan on rebuilding it, too. Perhaps we can compare notes. Joe KG6IMI > > > > On Apr 2, 2016, at 11:36 AM, > > wrote: > > > > Picked up a working SX-28 yesterday; partially recapped and aside from dirty switches and pots, IS working. It does however, have a "modern" JW miller IF can in place of T-3.. it works but I'd like to get my hands on an original. I'm also looking for the phenolic piece that holds the terminals for the speaker. The terminals ARE there, but the phenolic is essentially gone. Under the heading "how 'bout that?", I have a PM-23 that I'd sold, but never got money for, so kept it. Well, shazzam - that's the EXACT speaker shown for it in the '45 Handbook. Sometimes ya gotta hold your mouth right! Tom - W0EAJ > > > > --- > > This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active. > > http://www.avast.com > > ______________________________________________________________ > > Hallicrafters mailing list > > Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/hallicrafters > > Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm > > Post: mailto:Hallicrafters at mailman.qth.net > > > > List Administrator: Duane Fischer, W8DBF > > ** For Assistance: dfischer at usol.com ** > > > > > > This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net > > Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html > > > > > > ______________________________________________________________ > Hallicrafters mailing list > Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/hallicrafters > Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm > Post: mailto:Hallicrafters at mailman.qth.net > > List Administrator: Duane Fischer, W8DBF > ** For Assistance: dfischer at usol.com ** > > > This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net > Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html > > From cateswa at msn.com Thu Apr 7 16:11:10 2016 From: cateswa at msn.com (Walt Cates) Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 15:11:10 -0500 Subject: [Hallicrafters] FS SR-160/PS-150 Message-ID: For Sale, SR-160/PS-150 Fully refurbished, cabinets striped and repainted. Comes with 3 ring binder with final bench test performance data, manual and tech supplements. ~~~ $425 + shipping. HA-16 VOX module also available for $45. Contact me direct for photos or more info. (cateswa at msn dot com) Walt Cates, WD0GOFIf your ethics are situational then you have no ethics. From robert at isquare.com Mon Apr 11 23:31:19 2016 From: robert at isquare.com (Bob Sullivan) Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 23:31:19 -0400 Subject: [Hallicrafters] SX-42 Message-ID: <01B69C5B-94A8-4849-A6F5-33F702A09F91@isquare.com> I have a lot of SX-42 parts if anyone needs anything. 73, Bob W?YVA http://www.isquare.com/personal_pages/ras-hardware.htm From cateswa at msn.com Tue Apr 12 14:18:15 2016 From: cateswa at msn.com (Walt Cates) Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 13:18:15 -0500 Subject: [Hallicrafters] LA-500/P-500 MANUAL Message-ID: I have a pristine original manual for the LA-500 linear power amplifier. The LA-500 was developed and produced by Radio Industries as a PA for the SBT-20 transceiver. Interesting little amp 4 each 7985's in parallel. 25 watts in 240 out. If anyone wants it $5.00 should cover postage or if you are local stop by and it is yours free of charge. Walt Cates, WD0GOFIf your ethics are situational then you have no ethics. From cateswa at msn.com Tue Apr 12 14:27:58 2016 From: cateswa at msn.com (Walt Cates) Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 13:27:58 -0500 Subject: [Hallicrafters] LA-500 manual Message-ID: The manual is spoken for. Walt Cates, WD0GOFIf your ethics are situational then you have no ethics. From radio at daileyservices.com Tue Apr 12 17:18:53 2016 From: radio at daileyservices.com (radio at daileyservices.com) Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 15:18:53 -0600 Subject: [Hallicrafters] IF Can and Recap. References: Message-ID: <79A4350E20C7458C8A75260A4709C7E9@w0eaj> Good news, chaps. I was able to get an OEM IF can (for an SX-28), that was essentially NIB. Astounding what hides in the dark. It even still had the typed paper label with the Halli' p/n. Thanks "hugely" to Jerry McCarty. Oh, and I've read much about recapping the '28. Most say to remove the RF "cage", while a few say it can be done without that bit of brain-damage. What say the voices of experience? Tom - W0EAJ --- This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active. http://www.avast.com From WA1KBQ at aol.com Tue Apr 12 17:26:29 2016 From: WA1KBQ at aol.com (WA1KBQ) Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 17:26:29 -0400 Subject: [Hallicrafters] IF Can and Recap. Message-ID: I would say it would be difficult to do quality work trying to work around the modules when they can be removed. You might consider a Hakko desoldering gun which will make the job much easier if you don't already have one. GregWA1KBQ? Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone-------- Original message --------From: radio at daileyservices.com Date: 4/12/2016 5:18 PM (GMT-05:00) To: hallicrafters at mailman.qth.net Subject: [Hallicrafters] IF Can and Recap. Good news, chaps.? I was able to get an OEM IF can (for an SX-28), that was essentially NIB.? Astounding what hides in the dark.? It even still had the typed paper label with the Halli' p/n.? Thanks "hugely" to Jerry McCarty. Oh, and I've read much about recapping the '28.? Most say to remove the RF "cage", while a few say it can be done without that bit of brain-damage. What say the voices of experience? Tom - W0EAJ --- This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active. http://www.avast.com ______________________________________________________________ Hallicrafters mailing list Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/hallicrafters Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm Post: mailto:Hallicrafters at mailman.qth.net List Administrator: Duane Fischer, W8DBF ** For Assistance: dfischer at usol.com ** This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html From joeconnor53 at yahoo.com Tue Apr 12 17:51:30 2016 From: joeconnor53 at yahoo.com (Joe Connor) Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 21:51:30 +0000 (UTC) Subject: [Hallicrafters] IF Can and Recap. In-Reply-To: <79A4350E20C7458C8A75260A4709C7E9@w0eaj> References: <79A4350E20C7458C8A75260A4709C7E9@w0eaj> Message-ID: <1167882758.1564964.1460497890320.JavaMail.yahoo@mail.yahoo.com> I'll be interested to see what everyone says. Note: I assume we are talking about the SX-28 and not the easier-to-service SX-28A. Here are my recollections/observations: 1. If you have good long-nose pliers, a thin soldering iron and a large vocabulary of curse words, you can probably replace the caps in the 2nd RF and mixer sections without disassembly. However, I don't think you can test or replace the resistors, and some of those resistors have probably drifted upwards because of leaky caps. I also don't see how you can get to the caps in the 1st RF. 2. I heartily recommend Phil Nelson's article on the SX-28, which contains the most comprehensive instructions for disassembling the RF deck. I sure wish Phil had stuck to boatanchors instead of getting into TVs because his articles are first rate.? 3. The disassembly process is more tedious than difficult. Note that you need a really good Phillips screwdriver for removing the screws on the retaining panels. That is super important because the last thing you want to do is strip them. Take pictures, make diagrams and/or color-code the wires to help with reassembly. Figure 4-8 hours for disassembly and reassembly. ? 4. Is disassembly worth it? Probably. I did it on an SX-28 that I thought was working well, but it worked a lot better after I had replaced all those caps. It may be the placebo effect but I really do think it works better. Joe Connor On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 5:31 PM, "radio at daileyservices.com" wrote: Good news, chaps.? I was able to get an OEM IF can (for an SX-28), that was essentially NIB.? Astounding what hides in the dark.? It even still had the typed paper label with the Halli' p/n.? Thanks "hugely" to Jerry McCarty. Oh, and I've read much about recapping the '28.? Most say to remove the RF "cage", while a few say it can be done without that bit of brain-damage. What say the voices of experience? Tom - W0EAJ --- This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active. http://www.avast.com ______________________________________________________________ Hallicrafters mailing list Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/hallicrafters Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm Post: mailto:Hallicrafters at mailman.qth.net List Administrator: Duane Fischer, W8DBF ** For Assistance: dfischer at usol.com ** This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html From aquinn50 at tx.rr.com Tue Apr 12 18:45:31 2016 From: aquinn50 at tx.rr.com (Anthony Quinn) Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 17:45:31 -0500 Subject: [Hallicrafters] IF Can and Recap. In-Reply-To: <1167882758.1564964.1460497890320.JavaMail.yahoo@mail.yahoo.com> References: <79A4350E20C7458C8A75260A4709C7E9@w0eaj> <1167882758.1564964.1460497890320.JavaMail.yahoo@mail.yahoo.com> Message-ID: <118F2A4D-2FA5-4066-96C6-066C0658177D@tx.rr.com> Well I "inherited" a fairly rare sx28 model fcc and the modules had already for all intents and purposes been removed totally and none of the connections/wires were marked. I've been working on it for a month or two at night after work. There would be resistors and capacitors that would have been impossible to reach without removing the modules and the sides and tool or method is going to help on those imho. It would be like proctologist removing your tonsils. Perhaps removing "minor" things like band switch wafers would give a little more room but then you have other issues. Mark everything and take more pictures than you think you'll ever need. As a relative beginner some of the connections aren't exactly intuitive particularly around the band switch. Had to replace a middle wafer and the prior poster was correct about swearing Sent from my iPhone > On Apr 12, 2016, at 4:51 PM, Joe Connor via Hallicrafters wrote: > > I'll be interested to see what everyone says. Note: I assume we are talking about the SX-28 and not the easier-to-service SX-28A. Here are my recollections/observations: > 1. If you have good long-nose pliers, a thin soldering iron and a large vocabulary of curse words, you can probably replace the caps in the 2nd RF and mixer sections without disassembly. However, I don't think you can test or replace the resistors, and some of those resistors have probably drifted upwards because of leaky caps. I also don't see how you can get to the caps in the 1st RF. > 2. I heartily recommend Phil Nelson's article on the SX-28, which contains the most comprehensive instructions for disassembling the RF deck. I sure wish Phil had stuck to boatanchors instead of getting into TVs because his articles are first rate. > 3. The disassembly process is more tedious than difficult. Note that you need a really good Phillips screwdriver for removing the screws on the retaining panels. That is super important because the last thing you want to do is strip them. Take pictures, make diagrams and/or color-code the wires to help with reassembly. Figure 4-8 hours for disassembly and reassembly. > 4. Is disassembly worth it? Probably. I did it on an SX-28 that I thought was working well, but it worked a lot better after I had replaced all those caps. It may be the placebo effect but I really do think it works better. > > Joe Connor > > On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 5:31 PM, "radio at daileyservices.com" wrote: > > > > Good news, chaps. I was able to get an OEM IF can (for an SX-28), that was > essentially NIB. Astounding what hides in the dark. It even still had the > typed paper label with the Halli' p/n. Thanks "hugely" to Jerry McCarty. > > Oh, and I've read much about recapping the '28. Most say to remove the RF > "cage", while a few say it can be done without that bit of brain-damage. > What say the voices of experience? > > Tom - W0EAJ > > > --- > This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active. > http://www.avast.com > > ______________________________________________________________ > Hallicrafters mailing list > Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/hallicrafters > Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm > Post: mailto:Hallicrafters at mailman.qth.net > > List Administrator: Duane Fischer, W8DBF > ** For Assistance: dfischer at usol.com ** > > > This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net > Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html > > > > > ______________________________________________________________ > Hallicrafters mailing list > Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/hallicrafters > Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm > Post: mailto:Hallicrafters at mailman.qth.net > > List Administrator: Duane Fischer, W8DBF > ** For Assistance: dfischer at usol.com ** > > > This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net > Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html From joeconnor53 at yahoo.com Tue Apr 12 18:48:17 2016 From: joeconnor53 at yahoo.com (Joe Connor) Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 22:48:17 +0000 (UTC) Subject: [Hallicrafters] IF Can and Recap. In-Reply-To: <118F2A4D-2FA5-4066-96C6-066C0658177D@tx.rr.com> References: <118F2A4D-2FA5-4066-96C6-066C0658177D@tx.rr.com> Message-ID: <1756278870.1614284.1460501297915.JavaMail.yahoo@mail.yahoo.com> Yeah, ?it's like the story of the proctologist who rebuilt the engine on his Jaguar. What was most impressive is that he did all the work through the tailpipe. Joe Connor On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 6:45 PM, Anthony Quinn wrote: Well I "inherited" a fairly rare sx28 model fcc and the modules had already for all intents and purposes been removed totally and none of the connections/wires were marked.? I've been working on it for a month or two at night after work.? There would be resistors and capacitors that would have been impossible to reach without removing the modules and the sides and tool or method is going to help on those imho.? It would be like proctologist removing your tonsils.? Perhaps removing "minor" things like band switch wafers would give a little more room but then you have other issues.? Mark everything and take more pictures than you think you'll ever need.? As a relative beginner some of the connections aren't exactly intuitive particularly around the band switch.? Had to replace a middle wafer and the prior poster was correct about swearing Sent from my iPhone > On Apr 12, 2016, at 4:51 PM, Joe Connor via Hallicrafters wrote: > > I'll be interested to see what everyone says. Note: I assume we are talking about the SX-28 and not the easier-to-service SX-28A. Here are my recollections/observations: > 1. If you have good long-nose pliers, a thin soldering iron and a large vocabulary of curse words, you can probably replace the caps in the 2nd RF and mixer sections without disassembly. However, I don't think you can test or replace the resistors, and some of those resistors have probably drifted upwards because of leaky caps. I also don't see how you can get to the caps in the 1st RF. > 2. I heartily recommend Phil Nelson's article on the SX-28, which contains the most comprehensive instructions for disassembling the RF deck. I sure wish Phil had stuck to boatanchors instead of getting into TVs because his articles are first rate. > 3. The disassembly process is more tedious than difficult. Note that you need a really good Phillips screwdriver for removing the screws on the retaining panels. That is super important because the last thing you want to do is strip them. Take pictures, make diagrams and/or color-code the wires to help with reassembly. Figure 4-8 hours for disassembly and reassembly.? > 4. Is disassembly worth it? Probably. I did it on an SX-28 that I thought was working well, but it worked a lot better after I had replaced all those caps. It may be the placebo effect but I really do think it works better. > > Joe Connor > >? ? On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 5:31 PM, "radio at daileyservices.com" wrote: > > > > Good news, chaps.? I was able to get an OEM IF can (for an SX-28), that was > essentially NIB.? Astounding what hides in the dark.? It even still had the > typed paper label with the Halli' p/n.? Thanks "hugely" to Jerry McCarty. > > Oh, and I've read much about recapping the '28.? Most say to remove the RF > "cage", while a few say it can be done without that bit of brain-damage. > What say the voices of experience? > > Tom - W0EAJ > > > --- > This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active. > http://www.avast.com > > ______________________________________________________________ > Hallicrafters mailing list > Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/hallicrafters > Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm > Post: mailto:Hallicrafters at mailman.qth.net > > List Administrator: Duane Fischer, W8DBF > ** For Assistance: dfischer at usol.com ** > > > This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net > Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html > > > > > ______________________________________________________________ > Hallicrafters mailing list > Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/hallicrafters > Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm > Post: mailto:Hallicrafters at mailman.qth.net > > List Administrator: Duane Fischer, W8DBF > ** For Assistance: dfischer at usol.com ** > > > This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net > Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html From radio at daileyservices.com Tue Apr 12 19:03:05 2016 From: radio at daileyservices.com (radio at daileyservices.com) Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 17:03:05 -0600 Subject: [Hallicrafters] IF Can and Recap. References: <118F2A4D-2FA5-4066-96C6-066C0658177D@tx.rr.com> <1756278870.1614284.1460501297915.JavaMail.yahoo@mail.yahoo.com> Message-ID: <1435B1C037E24CC09E75ED02986F511C@w0eaj> I'm emminently qualified in the swearing department.. former Chief Radioman, USN.. I've done "post grad" work, there. There are a few 'hidden mysteries' in SX-62s as well... and to the easy eye, you'd think an HRO-60 would be simple too, but I replaced ALL of the resistors in one (Mouser sells BRAND NEW (not NOS) carbon composition resistors, which FIT where the old ones did. New resistors are great, but they suffer from short lead length in some cases), and they loved to use the "layered" approach, much like a KWM-2 with vector "turret" sockets. ----- Original Message ----- From: Joe Connor To: Anthony Quinn Cc: radio at daileyservices.com ; hallicrafters at mailman.qth.net Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 4:48 PM Subject: Re: [Hallicrafters] IF Can and Recap. Yeah, it's like the story of the proctologist who rebuilt the engine on his Jaguar. What was most impressive is that he did all the work through the tailpipe. --- This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active. http://www.avast.com From radio at daileyservices.com Fri Apr 15 13:44:54 2016 From: radio at daileyservices.com (radio at daileyservices.com) Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 11:44:54 -0600 Subject: [Hallicrafters] PM-23 dimensions Message-ID: <51B2EC77C2B5495E8D5B29CA8409FEC6@w0eaj> The PM-23 speaker (et. al.) is 16" long, 11" deep (includes grillwork), & 11" high. Tom - W0EAJ --- This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active. http://www.avast.com

This page last updated 29 May 2017.