Halligan's Hallicrafters International

    Halligan's Hallicrafters International
maintained by Scott Neader, KA9FOX





From: TGuntzel@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 20:51:04 EDT
Subject: [Hallicrafters] The HCA website has been updated
Message-ID: <44.7e9c95a.271664f8@aol.com>


That's right, the fly fishing season in Minnesota is over, I have a new high 
speed Internet access and the site has been updated. Check out the member 
shacks, new mystery image and other updates.

See it at <A HREF="http://www.hallicrafters.org">http://www.hallicrafters.org
</A>

Tom G
KE0KB
HCA webmaster

List Owner: Duane Fischer W8DBF
For Assistance: dfischer@tir.com
---
Submissions hallicrafters@qth.net
Subscriptions majordomo@qth.net


From: Dave Noon <david.noon@odyssey.on.ca>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 20:00:33 -0400
Subject: [Hallicrafters] WTB: Tuning knob for SX-115/SX-122
Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.20001011200033.007b67a0@odyssey.on.ca>


Slim chance, but here goes ! I need a tuning knob for the SX-115,
same as the SX-122. Fluted with chrome insert - measurements as follows:

FRONT VIEW

Chrome Insert diameter   1 1/4 "
Flute to Flute diameter 1 3/4 "

REAR VIEW

Flute to flute diameter  1 7/8 "

I have jpegs if anyone has something and needs clarification.

Tnx  Dave  VA3DN

david.noon@odyssey.on.ca


List Owner: Duane Fischer W8DBF
For Assistance: dfischer@tir.com
---
Submissions hallicrafters@qth.net
Subscriptions majordomo@qth.net


From: "Duane Fischer" <dfischer@tir.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 15:08:58 -0400
Subject: Re: [Hallicrafters] Legislative Advisory
Message-Id: <200010111910.PAA05854@listserver.qth.net>


Sandy, 	
	
This is an election year, is it not? If you are truly concerned, and I am not
suggesting that you are not, then get out there and make your voice heard. The
only hammer we have, is to not re-elect those in our state legislatures who
refuse to listen to the voice of the taxpayers who pay their wages. If you like
what a candidate for an office has to say, then get out there and elect that
person to replace someone who is not doing his/her job. 	
	
This is already a law in Michigan. The exclusions are not vague, they are clear
cut. Nevertheless, a police officer may not be aware of the exclusions. Hence a
receiver could be confiscated unknowingly. So perhaps our efforts should be
devoted to letting police departments know what the law says. Stop by and show
them a copy of the bill. Make sure the Chief of Police gets a copy. If we do not
tell those in authority, it is also a little of our own fault. Let's be honest.
The voice who makes the loudest noise gets the attention. If we sit by with our
complaints, worries, concerns and suggestions in private discussions, we can not
expect results to our liking. There is no guarantee we will get what we want if
we do speak up. But it is a guarantee that we probably will not if we remain
silent! 	
	
Do what I did. Get on the telephone to your Congressman and/or Senator. Send
them an e-mail. Write them a letter. Do all of the above! But do something
besides sit idle and grumble. When enough people speak up, heads turn. We got
our freedom by fighting for it, and we can only keep it by continuing to fight
for it. this war shall never end.	
	
Duane Fischer W8DBF

----------
From: Sandy Blaize <ebjr@i-55.com>
To: Hallicrafters reflector <hallicrafters@qth.net>; Duane Fischer
<dfischer@tir.com>
Subject: Re: [Hallicrafters] Legislative Advisory
Date: Wednesday, October 11, 2000 2:41 PM

> I would like to thank Jack for his interesting post. Certainly something
to
> reflect upon.	
> 	
> I receive three letters yesterday from concerned Michigan residents
(Amateur
> Radio Operators) about a bill before the state legislature that would
restrict
> the possession of radio receivers in automobiles. The law is clear. If
the
> occupant of said vehicle has in his/her possession a receiver capable of
> recieving any frequency assigned by the FCC to the Police in the state of
> Michigan, the occupant of said vehicle is in violation of the law and is
subject
> to prosecution. 	
> 	
> However, there are exceptions to this law. The bill is house number 6012
and I
> have read it. Amateur Radio operators are included as exceptions! In
point of
> fact, the bill adds the class of Technician+ to Technician, General,
Advanced
> and Extra. This bill in no way threatens Amateur Radio operators in the
state of
> Michigan to restrict them from having a transciever in a vehicle, even if
said
> transciever is capable of recieving frequencies on which the Police are
licensed
> to operate. 	
> 	
> If any of you would like a copy of this bill, I would be glad to provide
you
> with a copy. However, you should do what I did. Call your Representative
and
> investigate. Don't jump on the panic bandwagon and stir people up until
you find
> out IF a bill is really going to do what is being asserted. If the
allegations
> are accurate, then take action. 	
> 	
> Duane Fischer W8DBF   

	Sounds to me that this bill should be killed on general principles!
If the Police are allocated one HF frequency, this would mean an SW
receiver
would be illegal!  This smacks of a totalitarian state of affairs!  If it
does
pass, other states will try to jump on the bandwagon!  Even though amateurs
are
supposedly exempt, we should raise a lot of hell about it, as we could be
next.  It's getting to where "state", "local" bureaucrats and legislators
ignore
each other's or Federal statues and vice versa.  It takes expensive lawyers
and a ton of money just to force the "regulators" to recognize simple basic
"rights".  It has become a procedure to abrogate rights by making it too
expensive for Joe Sixpack to fight back.  I say kill it no matter what the 
supposed "benefits to police or authority" are!  I for one am not about to
give
up ANY of my rights so it will become a convienance to police authority!
73,
Sandy W5TVW

List Owner: Duane Fischer W8DBF
For Assistance: dfischer@tir.com
---
Submissions hallicrafters@qth.net
Subscriptions majordomo@qth.net


From: "Sandy Blaize" <ebjr@i-55.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 13:41:21 -0500
Subject: Re: [Hallicrafters] Legislative Advisory
Message-Id: <200010111834.NAA26401@exit1.i-55.com>


> I would like to thank Jack for his interesting post. Certainly something
to
> reflect upon.	
> 	
> I receive three letters yesterday from concerned Michigan residents
(Amateur
> Radio Operators) about a bill before the state legislature that would
restrict
> the possession of radio receivers in automobiles. The law is clear. If
the
> occupant of said vehicle has in his/her possession a receiver capable of
> recieving any frequency assigned by the FCC to the Police in the state of
> Michigan, the occupant of said vehicle is in violation of the law and is
subject
> to prosecution. 	
> 	
> However, there are exceptions to this law. The bill is house number 6012
and I
> have read it. Amateur Radio operators are included as exceptions! In
point of
> fact, the bill adds the class of Technician+ to Technician, General,
Advanced
> and Extra. This bill in no way threatens Amateur Radio operators in the
state of
> Michigan to restrict them from having a transciever in a vehicle, even if
said
> transciever is capable of recieving frequencies on which the Police are
licensed
> to operate. 	
> 	
> If any of you would like a copy of this bill, I would be glad to provide
you
> with a copy. However, you should do what I did. Call your Representative
and
> investigate. Don't jump on the panic bandwagon and stir people up until
you find
> out IF a bill is really going to do what is being asserted. If the
allegations
> are accurate, then take action. 	
> 	
> Duane Fischer W8DBF   

	Sounds to me that this bill should be killed on general principles!
If the Police are allocated one HF frequency, this would mean an SW
receiver
would be illegal!  This smacks of a totalitarian state of affairs!  If it
does
pass, other states will try to jump on the bandwagon!  Even though amateurs
are
supposedly exempt, we should raise a lot of hell about it, as we could be
next.  It's getting to where "state", "local" bureaucrats and legislators
ignore
each other's or Federal statues and vice versa.  It takes expensive lawyers
and a ton of money just to force the "regulators" to recognize simple basic
"rights".  It has become a procedure to abrogate rights by making it too
expensive for Joe Sixpack to fight back.  I say kill it no matter what the 
supposed "benefits to police or authority" are!  I for one am not about to
give
up ANY of my rights so it will become a convienance to police authority!
73,
Sandy W5TVW

List Owner: Duane Fischer W8DBF
For Assistance: dfischer@tir.com
---
Submissions hallicrafters@qth.net
Subscriptions majordomo@qth.net


From: "Duane Fischer" <dfischer@tir.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 14:19:05 -0400
Subject: [Hallicrafters] Global Glow net Tonight!
Message-Id: <200010111821.OAA03952@listserver.qth.net>



	
Remember tonight the Hallicrafters Global Glow Net is at 9:30 PM EDT, (0130
UTC), on 14.293 Mhz usb. 	
	
I hope to hear you there. 

I am looking for volunteers to help with, and suggestions for, the Hallicrafters
International Weekend comingup in December.	
	
Thanks.	
	
Duane Fischer W8DBF	
HCA Sr. Net Controller

List Owner: Duane Fischer W8DBF
For Assistance: dfischer@tir.com
---
Submissions hallicrafters@qth.net
Subscriptions majordomo@qth.net


From: "Duane Fischer" <dfischer@tir.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 13:10:32 -0400
Subject: [Hallicrafters] Legislative Advisory
Message-Id: <200010111711.NAA00696@listserver.qth.net>



	
I would like to thank Jack for his interesting post. Certainly something to
reflect upon.	
	
I receive three letters yesterday from concerned Michigan residents (Amateur
Radio Operators) about a bill before the state legislature that would restrict
the possession of radio receivers in automobiles. The law is clear. If the
occupant of said vehicle has in his/her possession a receiver capable of
recieving any frequency assigned by the FCC to the Police in the state of
Michigan, the occupant of said vehicle is in violation of the law and is subject
to prosecution. 	
	
However, there are exceptions to this law. The bill is house number 6012 and I
have read it. Amateur Radio operators are included as exceptions! In point of
fact, the bill adds the class of Technician+ to Technician, General, Advanced
and Extra. This bill in no way threatens Amateur Radio operators in the state of
Michigan to restrict them from having a transciever in a vehicle, even if said
transciever is capable of recieving frequencies on which the Police are licensed
to operate. 	
	
If any of you would like a copy of this bill, I would be glad to provide you
with a copy. However, you should do what I did. Call your Representative and
investigate. Don't jump on the panic bandwagon and stir people up until you find
out IF a bill is really going to do what is being asserted. If the allegations
are accurate, then take action. 	
	
Duane Fischer W8DBF   

List Owner: Duane Fischer W8DBF
For Assistance: dfischer@tir.com
---
Submissions hallicrafters@qth.net
Subscriptions majordomo@qth.net


From: jackiv@juno.com
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:19:22 -0500
Subject: [Hallicrafters] PCB CAPACITOR DISPOSAL
Message-ID: <20001011.101923.-104903.1.jackiv@juno.com>


After a lengthy discussion with the US EPA here in Chicago I wish to
share the information that I received.
   This will be attenuated as the verbiage is lengthy. 
In effect, small capacitors may be disposed  of as municipal solid waste
if the volume is less than 1,639 cubic centimeters (100 cubic inches)" 
This relates to a "capacitor which contains less than 1.36 kg (3 lbs) of
dielectric fluid".  The dielectric fluid here refers to a PCB compound.
  The above is a description of a "small capacitor"   A unit exceeding
these dimensions or volume shall be defined as a "large capacitor " and
will have to be disposed of "in an incinerator that complies with pp
761.70 .The rules go on and on. These are the things that concern us.
As to small cylindrical caps, they don't have any PCBs in 'em.  Not to
worry. 
  I will furnish the EPA web site to those who wish to dig deeper.
  The EPA faxed me the pertinent data.  73s 

jack

List Owner: Duane Fischer W8DBF
For Assistance: dfischer@tir.com
---
Submissions hallicrafters@qth.net
Subscriptions majordomo@qth.net


From: "Duane Fischer" <dfischer@tir.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:34:58 -0400
Subject: Re: [Hallicrafters] "BLACK BEAUTIES"  PCB's???
Message-Id: <200010120301.XAA25409@listserver.qth.net>


Jack, 	
	
"You could die by drowning" Past tense? Heck I did not even know they had found
a cure for it!	
	
Do we have reported incidents of despondant radio hobbyists ingesting old
capacitors? What's next? Nibbling on resistors with a nice brown crust?	
	
Considering all of what is being dumped into Lake Michigan from human waste to
industrial chemicals to nautical dump sites, I don't think I would want to drink
the water in Illinois!	
	
Duane

----------
From: jackiv@juno.com
To: Troglodite@aol.com
Cc: hallicrafters@qth.net
Subject: Re: [Hallicrafters] "BLACK BEAUTIES"  PCB's???
Date: Wednesday, October 11, 2000 9:57 AM

I for one, think that it is time to really discuss what oil is in a
capacitor and what hazards are associated with various impregnants, It is
time for doctor Barry to break in here as a respected authority on many
chemicals. The oils in the Sprague BB are compounded from a petroleum
stock quite high in the viscosity range and about as dangerous as the
mineral oil from the drugstore. Don't ingest that oil,it will make you
xxxx.
 There are those among us who react violently to unfounded rumors.
The history of insulating compounds, both liquid, solid and semi-solid
should be assesed as to toxicity.
    Remember, when the list of toxic substances was first published in
Illinois, water was listed.  (you could die by drowning)
Flame away all...
jack

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000 08:57:50 EDT Troglodite@aol.com writes:
> In a message dated 10/10/2000 2:25:10 PM Central Daylight Time, 
> rco@lowell.edu writes:
> 
> > I have been told by folks who should know that while PCB-laced oil 
> was
> >  used in some transformers, it was never used in the production 
> of
> >  capacitors.  Does anybody have reason to believe otherwise?  It 
> is not
> >  useful to discuss the proper handling of a non-existant problem.
> 
> I don't have any authoritive information on that. The use of oil 
> containing 
> PCB's in the manufacture of the Sprague BB capacitors was mentioned 
> on the 
> HCA website. It may have been second-hand information. However, if I 
> find a 
> cracked one, I avoid touching it with my fingers, and all removed 
> BB's get 
> put in a plastic bag and sealed. Periodically our village has a 
> HAZMAT 
> disposal day, and I take them there. I don't actually know for 
> certain if 
> they are hazardous or not, but I'd rather err on the safe side. I 
> don't wear 
> a mask and rubber gloves, etc. when replacing capacitors. I HAVE 
> worn a mask 
> when cleaning a chassis that was covered with cadmium oxide.
> 
> I'm not in the school that considers old radios "Toxic Land Mines" 
> but I am 
> of the belief that a little caution and common sense goes a long 
> way. I do 
> replace all the BB's I find because most of them I test are leaky, 
> and the 
> remainder will probably become that way. The company I work for used 
> 
> thousands of BB's in the vacuum tube days. The failure rate after 10 
> years 
> was about 40%, increasing exponentially with time. We stopped using 
> them just 
> before transistors took over.
> 
> Doug Moore
> 
> List Owner: Duane Fischer W8DBF
> For Assistance: dfischer@tir.com
> ---
> Submissions hallicrafters@qth.net
> Subscriptions majordomo@qth.net
> 

List Owner: Duane Fischer W8DBF
For Assistance: dfischer@tir.com
---
Submissions hallicrafters@qth.net
Subscriptions majordomo@qth.net

List Owner: Duane Fischer W8DBF
For Assistance: dfischer@tir.com
---
Submissions hallicrafters@qth.net
Subscriptions majordomo@qth.net


From: "Raymond and Mariann Brown" <radioray108@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 14:27:33 GMT
Subject: [Hallicrafters] Marc fall meet
Message-ID: <F13dWhkeLZssJbBVVI600000fc3@hotmail.com>


This is to healp anyone who wants to go to the michigan antique radio meet 
in kalamazoo.
The meet is saturday november 11 9AM-TILL 2PM. The county fairgrounds is 
where it will be held
at buissness 94 and lake street. Take 94 from the east take exit 81 from the 
west take exit
80. Then go to lake street. It is east of buissness 94. This should get you 
there.
Thanks Ray
_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at 
http://profiles.msn.com.


List Owner: Duane Fischer W8DBF
For Assistance: dfischer@tir.com
---
Submissions hallicrafters@qth.net
Subscriptions majordomo@qth.net


From: Normiehall@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:03:53 EDT
Subject: Re: [Hallicrafters] "BLACK BEAUTIES"  PCB's???
Message-ID: <7d.b71cb8e.2715cd49@aol.com>


I don't know about "Black Beauties," but some, older, oil-filled capacitors 
contain PCBs.  Pyronol is one trade name that stands out.  Information 
provided to broadcasters around 20-25 years ago by the NAB indicated that oil 
filled capacitors under a certain size did not have to be accounted for and 
monitored for leaks.  I don't remember if there was a required disposal 
procedure for them.  I suspect that you can check with the EPA's or NAB's web 
page and find out what the current thinking is.  Personally, I believe the 
fear of PCBs is overstated and suspect that unless you breathe fumes/smoke 
from burning PCBs you are not in any particular danger.  It is kind of like 
the problem with almost every substance tested - if you feed rats carloads of 
the substance every day, some get sick!  It can't hurt to be careful but I 
don't think "the sky is falling!", at least not yet!

73,

Norm Hall, W6JOD

List Owner: Duane Fischer W8DBF
For Assistance: dfischer@tir.com
---
Submissions hallicrafters@qth.net
Subscriptions majordomo@qth.net


From: jackiv@juno.com
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 08:57:39 -0500
Subject: Re: [Hallicrafters] "BLACK BEAUTIES"  PCB's???
Message-ID: <20001011.085740.-104903.0.jackiv@juno.com>


I for one, think that it is time to really discuss what oil is in a
capacitor and what hazards are associated with various impregnants, It is
time for doctor Barry to break in here as a respected authority on many
chemicals. The oils in the Sprague BB are compounded from a petroleum
stock quite high in the viscosity range and about as dangerous as the
mineral oil from the drugstore. Don't ingest that oil,it will make you
xxxx.
 There are those among us who react violently to unfounded rumors.
The history of insulating compounds, both liquid, solid and semi-solid
should be assesed as to toxicity.
    Remember, when the list of toxic substances was first published in
Illinois, water was listed.  (you could die by drowning)
Flame away all...
jack

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000 08:57:50 EDT Troglodite@aol.com writes:
> In a message dated 10/10/2000 2:25:10 PM Central Daylight Time, 
> rco@lowell.edu writes:
> 
> > I have been told by folks who should know that while PCB-laced oil 
> was
> >  used in some transformers, it was never used in the production 
> of
> >  capacitors.  Does anybody have reason to believe otherwise?  It 
> is not
> >  useful to discuss the proper handling of a non-existant problem.
> 
> I don't have any authoritive information on that. The use of oil 
> containing 
> PCB's in the manufacture of the Sprague BB capacitors was mentioned 
> on the 
> HCA website. It may have been second-hand information. However, if I 
> find a 
> cracked one, I avoid touching it with my fingers, and all removed 
> BB's get 
> put in a plastic bag and sealed. Periodically our village has a 
> HAZMAT 
> disposal day, and I take them there. I don't actually know for 
> certain if 
> they are hazardous or not, but I'd rather err on the safe side. I 
> don't wear 
> a mask and rubber gloves, etc. when replacing capacitors. I HAVE 
> worn a mask 
> when cleaning a chassis that was covered with cadmium oxide.
> 
> I'm not in the school that considers old radios "Toxic Land Mines" 
> but I am 
> of the belief that a little caution and common sense goes a long 
> way. I do 
> replace all the BB's I find because most of them I test are leaky, 
> and the 
> remainder will probably become that way. The company I work for used 
> 
> thousands of BB's in the vacuum tube days. The failure rate after 10 
> years 
> was about 40%, increasing exponentially with time. We stopped using 
> them just 
> before transistors took over.
> 
> Doug Moore
> 
> List Owner: Duane Fischer W8DBF
> For Assistance: dfischer@tir.com
> ---
> Submissions hallicrafters@qth.net
> Subscriptions majordomo@qth.net
> 

List Owner: Duane Fischer W8DBF
For Assistance: dfischer@tir.com
---
Submissions hallicrafters@qth.net
Subscriptions majordomo@qth.net


From: Jordan Arndt <jordana@nucleus.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 07:43:33 -0600
Subject: Re: [Hallicrafters] "BLACK BEAUTIES"  PCB's???
Message-ID: <39E46E85.A269F809@nucleus.com>


PCB was used as a heat dissipating additive to transformer oils, and would
therefore have little purpose within a paper capacitor... there were some larger
oil filled capacitors that had a small amount of PCB inside them... Thise I would
be careful about, but there is no real way to know which companies used them....
73 de Jordan...

Troglodite@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/10/2000 2:25:10 PM Central Daylight Time,
> rco@lowell.edu writes:
>
> > I have been told by folks who should know that while PCB-laced oil was
> >  used in some transformers, it was never used in the production of
> >  capacitors.  Does anybody have reason to believe otherwise?  It is not
> >  useful to discuss the proper handling of a non-existant problem.
>
> I don't have any authoritive information on that. The use of oil containing
> PCB's in the manufacture of the Sprague BB capacitors was mentioned on the
> HCA website. It may have been second-hand information. However, if I find a
> cracked one, I avoid touching it with my fingers, and all removed BB's get
> put in a plastic bag and sealed. Periodically our village has a HAZMAT
> disposal day, and I take them there. I don't actually know for certain if
> they are hazardous or not, but I'd rather err on the safe side. I don't wear
> a mask and rubber gloves, etc. when replacing capacitors. I HAVE worn a mask
> when cleaning a chassis that was covered with cadmium oxide.
>
> I'm not in the school that considers old radios "Toxic Land Mines" but I am
> of the belief that a little caution and common sense goes a long way. I do
> replace all the BB's I find because most of them I test are leaky, and the
> remainder will probably become that way. The company I work for used
> thousands of BB's in the vacuum tube days. The failure rate after 10 years
> was about 40%, increasing exponentially with time. We stopped using them just
> before transistors took over.
>
> Doug Moore
>
> List Owner: Duane Fischer W8DBF
> For Assistance: dfischer@tir.com
> ---
> Submissions hallicrafters@qth.net
> Subscriptions majordomo@qth.net


List Owner: Duane Fischer W8DBF
For Assistance: dfischer@tir.com
---
Submissions hallicrafters@qth.net
Subscriptions majordomo@qth.net


From: Troglodite@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 08:57:50 EDT
Subject: Re: [Hallicrafters] "BLACK BEAUTIES"  PCB's???
Message-ID: <6a.75b6fd7.2715bdce@aol.com>


In a message dated 10/10/2000 2:25:10 PM Central Daylight Time, 
rco@lowell.edu writes:

> I have been told by folks who should know that while PCB-laced oil was
>  used in some transformers, it was never used in the production of
>  capacitors.  Does anybody have reason to believe otherwise?  It is not
>  useful to discuss the proper handling of a non-existant problem.

I don't have any authoritive information on that. The use of oil containing 
PCB's in the manufacture of the Sprague BB capacitors was mentioned on the 
HCA website. It may have been second-hand information. However, if I find a 
cracked one, I avoid touching it with my fingers, and all removed BB's get 
put in a plastic bag and sealed. Periodically our village has a HAZMAT 
disposal day, and I take them there. I don't actually know for certain if 
they are hazardous or not, but I'd rather err on the safe side. I don't wear 
a mask and rubber gloves, etc. when replacing capacitors. I HAVE worn a mask 
when cleaning a chassis that was covered with cadmium oxide.

I'm not in the school that considers old radios "Toxic Land Mines" but I am 
of the belief that a little caution and common sense goes a long way. I do 
replace all the BB's I find because most of them I test are leaky, and the 
remainder will probably become that way. The company I work for used 
thousands of BB's in the vacuum tube days. The failure rate after 10 years 
was about 40%, increasing exponentially with time. We stopped using them just 
before transistors took over.

Doug Moore

List Owner: Duane Fischer W8DBF
For Assistance: dfischer@tir.com
---
Submissions hallicrafters@qth.net
Subscriptions majordomo@qth.net


From: Lee Bahr <w5drc@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 01:54:47 -0500
Subject: Re: [Hallicrafters] stuck
Message-ID: <39E40EB7.F11053FE@earthlink.net>


You mean Locktite?  Xcelite is a brand of tools.  Locktite can be
loosened with heat.  Use a hair blower.
Lee Bahr  w0vt

Larry Goodrich wrote:
> 
> Bet it's Xcelite.  Larry W9HTK
> 
> At 10:52 PM 10/9/2000 -0500, Mark Shaum wrote:
> >Ah, nice to be back after the lightning strike here last week.  About
> >the knurled switch knobs, I have had luck with stubborn ones by
> >either:
> >
> >a: If a regular nut exists on the switch behind the panel, loosening
> >that one first if it is accessible.
> >
> >b: Heating the switch shaft/knurled nut with a soldering iron before
> >taking the front nut off with gently locked vice grip pliers.  Have to
> >be careful with the vice grips not to scratch the panel.
> >
> >Best yet is to bug me to find where I put a note about what company
> >actually makes drivers to remove the two common knurled nut
> >sizes..I'll post the info if I can dig it up.
> >
> >73! - Mark
> >
> >> I need to replace the broken dial cord on my SX-111.  Unfortunately,
> >> the nuts on the toggle switches refuse to move.  I've had
> >penetrating
> >> oil on the threads for about 24 hours.  Any suggestions?
> >> -
> >>
> >
> >
> >List Owner: Duane Fischer W8DBF
> >For Assistance: dfischer@tir.com
> >---
> >Submissions hallicrafters@qth.net
> >Subscriptions majordomo@qth.net
> >
> >
> 
> List Owner: Duane Fischer W8DBF
> For Assistance: dfischer@tir.com
> ---
> Submissions hallicrafters@qth.net
> Subscriptions majordomo@qth.net

List Owner: Duane Fischer W8DBF
For Assistance: dfischer@tir.com
---
Submissions hallicrafters@qth.net
Subscriptions majordomo@qth.net


From: Larry Goodrich <w9htk@iquest.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 01:35:38 -0500
Subject: Re: [Hallicrafters] stuck
Message-Id: <3.0.32.20001010230136.0068996c@pop.iquest.net>


Bet it's Xcelite.  Larry W9HTK



At 10:52 PM 10/9/2000 -0500, Mark Shaum wrote:
>Ah, nice to be back after the lightning strike here last week.  About
>the knurled switch knobs, I have had luck with stubborn ones by
>either:
>
>a: If a regular nut exists on the switch behind the panel, loosening
>that one first if it is accessible.
>
>b: Heating the switch shaft/knurled nut with a soldering iron before
>taking the front nut off with gently locked vice grip pliers.  Have to
>be careful with the vice grips not to scratch the panel.
>
>Best yet is to bug me to find where I put a note about what company
>actually makes drivers to remove the two common knurled nut
>sizes..I'll post the info if I can dig it up.
>
>73! - Mark
>
>> I need to replace the broken dial cord on my SX-111.  Unfortunately,
>> the nuts on the toggle switches refuse to move.  I've had
>penetrating
>> oil on the threads for about 24 hours.  Any suggestions?
>> -
>>
>
>
>List Owner: Duane Fischer W8DBF
>For Assistance: dfischer@tir.com
>---
>Submissions hallicrafters@qth.net
>Subscriptions majordomo@qth.net
>
>

List Owner: Duane Fischer W8DBF
For Assistance: dfischer@tir.com
---
Submissions hallicrafters@qth.net
Subscriptions majordomo@qth.net

This page last updated 18 Jul 2001.